Uh oh, oh crap, cidr in a bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
So I forgot to write down on my calendar a service for a cow a couple weeks ago. Three days ago I put a cidr in her. I just updated my breeding book with today's services and noticed her entered in. She was due to cycle today if she hadn't settled. Now what do I do? Pull it and hope for the best, or leave it and continue with the sync protocol? How bad did I screw up? :bang: :bang: :bang: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

I would pull it, and get her preg checked. Did you give her the shot with the CIDR? Or just insert the CIDR? The CIDR is impregnated with progesterone, the hormone required for maintaining a pregnancy. If she was pregnant, and all you did was put in the CIDR, then you should be OK.

You will be OK as long as no PG given. The manufactures on one of their protocols recommend putting a 2nd cidr in about the time you did for a 2nd round where you just pull it out and then heat detect, the open ones should cycle within a couple of days of removal.

Ken

Yeah I think that I my have one bred that had a CIDR put in also. The vet said the same thing that FS has said.

You're OK; no harm, no foul. Pull it and watch. If she didn't conceive to the AI service, she'll probably be back in heat in a few days, you just delayed it a bit.

Several years ago, we had a group of 5 or 6 1st calf heifers that milked down pretty poor... didn't even bother trying to AI them, just turned 'em out to the bull. Was still in a 'building' mode, so we figured even if they didn't breed, we'd just bump them from the Spring herd to the Fall herd.
Preg check time... Open, open, open, open... last one coming through was so skinny that I said, "I'm not even gonna bother checking her - I KNOW she's open." Come fall, we synched 'em with GnRH/CIDR +PgF2; all the others cycled & bred, but not that one. I might have even hit her with another dose of prostaglandin before I kicked 'em out to the bull... come March, I looked out on the hill to see that (still kind of thin) brown cow with a fresh new calf. She was far enough along that prostaglandin injection alone wasn't enough to abort her.

I knew it then, know it now, but still often forget that the most common reason for a cow or heifer in dccent condition not cycling is...she's pregnant.

Lucky_P":1d1injao said:
You're OK; no harm, no foul. Pull it and watch. If she didn't conceive to the AI service, she'll probably be back in heat in a few days, you just delayed it a bit.
:nod: Best case scenario is she's bred and you helped her. Worst case is she's open and you've set her up for a flaming hot cycle in a few days. I'd be more worried about the cost of the cidr than what it did to the cow.

Latest posts