Udders Anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Due with her second calf in about two weeks. Not much of an udder the first go round. I thought I would give her one more chance. Glad I did.

udder.jpg

Cow_Town":3kh8n3q2 said:
Nice looking cow, she'll get the job done alright. What is she bred to ?

Probably one of those high quality - real expensive - impressive EPD carrying Black Angus bulls!!

You know - the type every good rancher and farmer puts on his commercial cows!

8)

Bez>

Bez>":1ilx2k3w said:
Cow_Town":1ilx2k3w said:
Nice looking cow, she'll get the job done alright. What is she bred to ?

Probably one of those high quality - real expensive - impressive EPD carrying Black Angus bulls!!

You know - the type every good rancher and farmer puts on his commercial cows!

8)

Bez>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice cow Mike

She's bred to bull I borrowed from Compton Charolais for cleanup. "CC Super Duke", or something like that. I'll have to look.

You're devilish Bez. :lol:

Her first calf (heifer) weaned 545 lbs. @ 205 adj.

About 65 lbs. light for the group she was in.

MikeC:

Not picking on you, but show us a view from the side. I only say this because I have an Angus cow with the prettiest udder you've ever seen from the rear; from the side view you can see that she's lacking in the front two quarters.

udder size does not always mean they give alot of milk or that they don't. also 2 weeks before calving they are swelled pretty big and it will go down. you will be able to tell more when the calf gets here.

alftn":262ao7z4 said:
What the cow weight Mike C.???How big frame?

She calved this morning and weighed 1158 lbs.

Frame? I'd say a 5.5-6 without actually measuring her.

beef":8ca9tfr9 said:
MikeC:

Not picking on you, but show us a view from the side. I only say this because I have an Angus cow with the prettiest udder you've ever seen from the rear; from the side view you can see that she's lacking in the front two quarters.

I can get a front view pic but the two front quarters are every bit as good as the back.

Are you insinuating that I'm trying to hide something? :lol:

jcarkie":3806b8by said:
udder size does not always mean they give alot of milk or that they don't. also 2 weeks before calving they are swelled pretty big and it will go down. you will be able to tell more when the calf gets here.

Being raised on a dairy I know quite well that udder size does not equal milk volume.

Thanks for the comments, but I only want her to give enough milk to raise a good calf.........not set any milking records.

If she can do that with a nice udder suits me fine.

Mike, I agree that all that I expect from my cows is to milk enough to raise a good calf without milking so much that they are hard keepers.

I also like to see a good udder of adequate size, very few cows with small udders raises heavy calves from my experience.

MikeC":ksbd0sz4 said:
jcarkie":ksbd0sz4 said:

Being raised on a dairy I know quite well that udder size does not equal milk volume.

Thanks for the comments
  • , but I only want her to give enough milk to raise a good calf.........not set any milking records.
If she can do that with a nice udder suits me fine.
thats for sure too much of a milker aint a good thing. i want one that milks enough to bring a terminal calf to it's potentail and no more. to remain productive longer in the herd without her milk factory breaking down ;-)

It looks like I'd better go back to the instructions! The picture comes up when I click on the link, but it's not automatically there in the post. :?:

Latest posts