Udder scoring

Help Support CattleToday:

So what I'M reading it doesn't matter the size of bag. Its wheather the bag is I would say firm or tight to the cow. Would be a better nurser for the calf. I had always thought the bigger the bag the more milk and better calf. Is this correct. So there wouldn't be a problem if the cows bag is small but tight the calf would be getting plenty of milk. I can see the problems with bigger teats as I had a cow with teats so large the calf couldn't suck. had to bottle feed that calf and the cow went to the sale barn.

jtbakv":37187h3w said:
So what I'M reading it doesn't matter the size of bag. Its wheather the bag is I would say firm or tight to the cow. Would be a better nurser for the calf. I had always thought the bigger the bag the more milk and better calf. Is this correct. So there wouldn't be a problem if the cows bag is small but tight the calf would be getting plenty of milk. I can see the problems with bigger teats as I had a cow with teats so large the calf couldn't suck. had to bottle feed that calf and the cow went to the sale barn.
Within reason the size of the bag has no bearing on milk production. We have all seen big bagged cows that when milked out still look full and don;t raise a very big calf and we've all seen the cow with hardly anything for a bag that raises a really good calf.

Latest posts