udder evaluation???

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
We reacently weaned our spring calves. I was doing uder evaluations at this time. Is the right time to do these evaluations and what do you look for? Also how much does this evaluation come into culling decisions? We have a couple of cows that have small udders but do a nice job of putting pounds on their calves.

George Monk":3fc0347h said:
We reacently weaned our spring calves. I was doing uder evaluations at this time. Is the right time to do these evaluations and what do you look for? Also how much does this evaluation come into culling decisions? We have a couple of cows that have small udders but do a nice job of putting pounds on their calves.

Hard to evaluate udders at weaning, except for extra teats and placement.

I make the udder cut at yearling, based on visuals, the dam of the calf and udder conformation of the bull's other daughters.

I DO like a lot of udder "Folds" in the rear of a heifer calf. I think it shows good, high, rear attachment.

Teat size is ALL important for culling decisions.........

I try to do them when they calve. I have a hard time determining real well what a heifers udder will be like when they come into production.

I look for levelness, and teat placement on weaner calves, but still hard to tell for me.

I evaluate them when they calve. That's usually when the udder and teats are the largest they're going to get. Don't confuse the size of an udder with the amount or quality of milk. One of the heaviest milking cows we ever owned (a Traveler 71 daughter) had an udder like a heifer as a ten year old cow. But she always weaned one of the heaviest calves.

Latest posts