Typical calf number??

Help Support CattleToday:

You should be okay as long as they all calve in the next 3 to 4 weeks max. Then start to wonder if the ones to calve are bred or bred on your time. Then preg test the ones that do not look pregnant or have calved. One of the worst things is to calve year round just my :2cents:

You should be okay as long as they all calve in the next 3 to 4 weeks max. Then start to wonder if the ones to calve are bred or bred on your time. Then preg test the ones that do not look pregnant or have calved. One of the worst things is to calve year round just my :2cents:

Finally, calf #4 today. It looks like things went smoothly and the calf looks healthy.

I hope you guys are right. The problem is there are several that just don't look like they will have a calf any time soon, but I hope I'm wrong.

Number 5 born dead today. I had to call the vet. He said the calf was too big and that she would never have had it on her own. It's odd, the others were rather small.

herofan":2etbzw8g said:
Number 5 born dead today. I had to call the vet. He said the calf was too big and that she would never have had it on her own. It's odd, the others were rather small.
Could be the heifer genes. They make up 50% of the calf. Not all BW issues are caused by the bull. I have a cow that has a big calf no matter what bull she has been bred to. She had a 100+ lb calf last year in less than 10 minutes of showing labor. I bred her to a very well known low BW Angus bull with high accuracy (Mitty In Focus) when she was a heifer and she still had a big calf. She has had 5 calves by 3 different low to semi-low BW bulls and had a big calf each time. The big calves looked funny amongst the rest of the 65 to 80 pounders in the pasture.

Back when I was doing the cusotm AI work, I bred a guys whole herd to the samer lincoln red bull. All the cws had little tiny 60-65 lb calves except one that had a 110 monster. The next year we bred them all to an angus bull and all the calves, even from that cow had normal 75-80 lb calves. The next year we used the Lincoln Red bull on everything again because he had really liked the growth and look of his calves. All the calves were small except that one, this calf was over 110 lbs (he used a hanging game scale that didn;t go any higher then 110 lbs). The next year we bred them all to a Gert bull and all the calves were again the same size and looked like peas in a pod. I don;t know what happened after that cause I sold the business and moved back to the desert. But he bought my tank and all the semen.

Just had #6 of 16; solid black. Everything appears good with calf and momma.

Just had #7. Head and one foot was out, but progress halted after that. I called the vet. He thought the calf was dead when he arrived. He said that once that much was out, they don't last long, and he didn't see any immediate signs of life. He located the other leg, and he slid right out. The vet said, Oh, he's breathing." When we drove away, there was a cow licking a live calf. :banana:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1cbl0jxu said:
herofan":1cbl0jxu said:
Had #8 and #9 of 16 today; one dead and one alive.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck! That bull really strung those heifers out!!!

Yes he did. The births started in early September, and there are still 7 to go. I don't get it. :???:

Latest posts