Type of wood for stalls

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I'm putting up a small run-in using Horseman's Choice modular shelter system. The stalls have wood inserts for all 4 sides. Can I use pressure treated wood for this or are the chemicals in treated wood harmful? If that's not an acceptable material, what is the best choice? Many thanks!

My wood of choice was any type of wood untreated, but I used a tounge and groove 2x6 (you can get up to a 2x8 or maybe 10). The tounge and groove added strength to the walls with less area for chewing (no exposed edges).

Alan

bobrammer":wdmm8lg7 said:
I'm putting up a small run-in using Horseman's Choice modular shelter system. The stalls have wood inserts for all 4 sides. Can I use pressure treated wood for this or are the chemicals in treated wood harmful? If that's not an acceptable material, what is the best choice? Many thanks!

That tongue and groove that Alan is writing about is available in Southern Yellow Pine, it is real hard almost like hardwood and that is really good material for stalls. If you go with red or white Pine, treated or untreated, they will chew the 'you know what' out of it.

I use 1x6 rough cut PT pine but then my horses only go in to eat and they can choose to go in or stay out. I guess it depends on if they are captive in there as to what to use.

I have rough cut oak, father in law has pine, he has had severl horses kick and break or crack the pine. pine is cheaper, but not to tough.

if your horses start cribbing on whatever you use, get a bottle of "WHOA" ....spray down the wood and let it soak in....(warning- wash your hands after spraying! that is the nastyest tasting stuff in the world) it is supposed to be used to keep tail chewing down....should last quite a while if soaked into the wood.

Just my 2 cents:

I you have t&G you don't have to worry about kicking or chewing. It's pretty tight.

Alan

Latest posts