Tying Up

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Ok.. I have a stupid question.

WHY do you tie your calves with their heads up and fully extended? It can't be comfortable for them, and I don't understand what the benefits are. I would think it would make them very reluctant to stand tied!

TheBullLady":fzyd3idf said:

WHY do you tie your calves with their heads up and fully extended? It can't be comfortable for them, and I don't understand what the benefits are. I would think it would make them very reluctant to stand tied!
It teaches them to stand with their head up naturally in the ring. Some people's philosophy is to tie it higher and more extended than it needs to be in the ring, that way when they slack up a little in the ring, it'll still look alright.

Personally I've seen a few pictures here where I think the head looks a little too high or a little too extended, though.

cowboy13":10ig1rfb said:
I tie them up to build muscles in their back and butt. It also teaches them endurance. My calves are tied up for at least 3 hours everyday. That way on show day, they don't get antsy while waiting to go in the ring.

Right on CB13. The longer they learn to stand, the better. If you win your class at a big show, especially with a young calf, they may have to stand for 5 -6 hours counting the time to fit. Our calves were always tied standing for 8 hours when someone was at home to check on them. It came in mighty handy for Jackpot shows when you load up at 4am, drive to the show, hop out and groom, show, break down, load up, drive home, and unload at Midnight.

cowboy13":27e9hx1r said:
I tie them up to build muscles in their back and butt. It also teaches them endurance.
Sorry about that, forgot that one. :oops:

My daughters tie their calves up for 4-5 hours a day, in the cooler barn of course, or if no cooler barn then under fans would be best. It is really hard work to show a calf that wont hold his head up himself, it is always appreciated when they are light on the head.

its suppose to make them hold their head up when in the showring, but i have yet have a calf that will do that. i had a heifer that no matter how long you tied her head high, in the ring she wouldn't hold it up, so after showing her my arm was hurting.

I understand why they are tied up but it seems to me 8 hours is too long, they need time in between eating to digset. We never leave ours tied up by themselves, we just bring a book or arrange it so that we tie up our animals at the same time so we can just chill and talk

limi chick fitter":1yt8rxtb said:
its suppose to make them hold their head up when in the showring, but i have yet have a calf that will do that. i had a heifer that no matter how long you tied her head high, in the ring she wouldn't hold it up, so after showing her my arm was hurting.

and from another post:
limi chick fitter":1yt8rxtb said:
i don't tie my calves heads up high, so what your telling me is pretty pointless :0)

Here's an :idea: :
Use a proper fitting halter, tie the calf's head up, leave the calf tied up a couple hours a day, and show day goes a lot easier on your arm.

TheBullLady":23hi5w1c said:

I tie mine up after they eat. Old fart told me once that it aids in digestion. Plus, makes for a nicer display while you are brushing and blowing at a show.

And the obvious that was mentioned above.

My kids tie them up in the morning after feeding their grain and after rinsing and drying. They do leave them alone in the barn while tied up, and check on them every hour or so. Of course they do not get left if they are new to being tied.

It DOES help make them light on their heads when tied up properly with a halter that fits. The calf doesent get as tired when showing when you have "practiced" keeping his head up. Also when going to a show our animals stand or lay quietly and do not tear up the display by moving around a bunch. It just works for us.

This is what happens when you do tie them up. This calf requires very little in regaurds to having to forcibly lift his head up. He is a Kadabra.

harry041006.jpg

Chris H.. dude.. you have no right to tell me what to do.
i have never used that halter before until now. so ****.

anyways.. my ex-show heifer (retired this year), i took her to about.. oh i don't know.. about 50 shows her whole show career, tied up daily.. actually tied up during school with camera's on her, couldn't keep her head up for nothing.. which i think they call them dead heads smart one :0)

WOW!!! You guys (girls) really know how to go at it. :shock: :roll:

I wasn't in on the last post, but this has to stop! :stop: :stop: :stop:

I think we all agree (maybe not all of us) that the nose band on that halter should be a little shorter. But in all reality to argue over it, over the internet for that fact, is pointless.

Cant we all just get along! :roll: :p :p :p 8)

Have a good night

~Britani~ 8)

limi chick fitter":cxpvdpsw said:

anyways.. my ex-show heifer (retired this year), i took her to about.. oh i don't know.. about 50 shows her whole show career, tied up daily.. actually tied up during school with camera's on her, couldn't keep her head up for nothing.. which i think they call them dead heads smart one :0)

I've found an animals behavior reflects a lot on the handler/owner. Quiet, even-tempered handlers result in quiet, even-tempered animals. Excitable handlers result in excitable animals. What do you think would cause a dead head?

Chris H":2an4xlrc said:
limi chick fitter":2an4xlrc said:

I've found an animals behavior reflects a lot on the handler/owner. Quiet, even-tempered handlers result in quiet, even-tempered animals. Excitable handlers result in excitable animals. What do you think would cause a dead head?

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAOK":sjvcn1ua said:
cowboy13":sjvcn1ua said:
I tie them up to build muscles in their back and butt. It also teaches them endurance. My calves are tied up for at least 3 hours everyday. That way on show day, they don't get antsy while waiting to go in the ring.

Right on CB13. The longer they learn to stand, the better. If you win your class at a big show, especially with a young calf, they may have to stand for 5 -6 hours counting the time to fit. Our calves were always tied standing for 8 hours when someone was at home to check on them. It came in mighty handy for Jackpot shows when you load up at 4am, drive to the show, hop out and groom, show, break down, load up, drive home, and unload at Midnight.

I agree i had a calf that i didn't tie up alot and he was in the first class so he held his head up by himself for that but by the time we got to the end of the show and went in for showmanship i had a time trying to get him to hold his head up. the next year i tied my calfs head up for at least an hour a day and he did much better with holding his head up.
I only tie them with there head up in show position and no higher because i want them to know where their head should be.
And it dose build muscle in the back and butt, also gives them endurance.

Is the 3 hours w/ head tied up in addition to being tied while eating, rinsing and brushing? We tie ours for these things plus maybe an hour after ward.

my definition of a dead head= a cow that will never hold its head up, no matter how long you work with them, thats why they invented the show halters with the spikes on the chains.. duh! but of course my show can't afford those so i never used one. what do you call a dead head?

chris.. what? you have no idea how i handle my calves.. every calf is different, not all of them hold their head high. some calves are excitable then others, others are just plain lazy and will just stand there, head up or down.