Tx brucellosis vacc requirements

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
What are the requirements in Texas for the brucellosis vaccination for retained heifers? I've read a few documents from the state and still not sure. Called the vet office and was told need to vaccinate before 12 months old, or testing would be required after 12 months old.

Are the vaccinations mandatory for heifers that will not leave the state?

Thank you.

They say you should but it doesnt always happen. If you are raising them and keeping them I wouldnt sweat it. If your selling heifers its probably best to get it done.

But yes, make sure to tell the vet the heifers are less than 12 months old when you take them in if you have them do it.

If I am going to keep a heifer for myself or to sell as a replacement female, I get them vaccinated. If the heifer goes to salebarn as --a feeder heifer I don't bother. If are vaccinating for brucellosis, it must be done between 4 and 12 months of age.

Texas is a brucellosis free state so it is not required however importing states will want assurance that brucellosis in their state won't impact their new purchase.

If I am going to keep a heifer for myself or to sell as a replacement female, I get them vaccinated. If the heifer goes to salebarn as --a feeder heifer I don't bother. If are vaccinating for brucellosis, it must be done between 4 and 12 months of age.

Same here. I've never heard that having them vaccinated was a state requirement, although the state paid for the vaccinations for a number of years.

I think there is a silver tag older heifers can get in Washington St. And I realize I'm along way from Texas.
They can be "adult" vaccinated in Washington. But that isn't good if shipped out of state. They mark non-vaccinated here in Oregon at the sales. They can go back to the country but must stay in Oregon. I have seen non-vaccinated cows from Idaho at Oregon sales (I am not far from the border). They sell them but announce they have to either go to slaughter or back to Idaho.

One day we were loading a bull and as usual we started from just beyond where the trough is. We would get him running thru those pens up to the trailer and hop in, but he turned around and came at me. I threw my cap on the ground and he stuck his nose on it while I jumped up on the fence.

After that we put in a couple more gates (those 2 panels in the pic) and now just work slow and keep closing gates till they got no where else to go but in the trailer.

One day we were loading a bull and as usual we started from just beyond where the trough is. We would get him running thru those pens up to the trailer and hop in, but he turned around and came at me. I threw my cap on the ground and he stuck his nose on it while I jumped up on the fence.

After that we put in a couple more gates (those 2 panels in the pic) and now just work slow and keep closing gates till they got no where else to go but in the trailer.
I'm all about working cattle slowly; train them to a feed bucket or sack when possible.

I'm all about working cattle slowly; train them to a feed bucket or sack when possible.
I ear tag my cattle right at the 30 foot feeder and let go of the hand tool...sure it throws the hand clipping tool after, for retrieval....but it's a lot better, easier and safer then capturing running them in the corral to my manual headgate...where i need at least another person who is put in harms way too.

Very nice heifer!
NY is Bruc & TB free. Virtually no one vaccinates for Bruc. I do. It's a free state ------- until it's NOT. I don't want my herd wiped out over a $5 (here) shot. We have to do it between 4 and 8 months of age. Another good reason for me to do it, is that I have cattle shipped all over the US. Some states frown upon non-vaccinated cattle.

What are the requirements in Texas for the brucellosis vaccination for retained heifers? I've read a few documents from the state and still not sure. Called the vet office and was told need to vaccinate before 12 months old, or testing would be required after 12 months old.

Are the vaccinations mandatory for heifers that will not leave the state?

Thank you.
I go by what your vet said. Like someone else said I don't sweat over missing a few unless someone is showing them or they will eventually go through a registered sale.

Latest posts