twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Rangenerd":2nczr5c4 said:
On average we get 1 out of 100.
Unless you own a dairy then it seems like it happens 50% of the time. And then you get both sexes everytime.

twins are usually ok... but dont happen very often. they are usually more trouble than I care to have.

I the past 5 years I have had four sets of twins , I have yet to have both survive , I have one cow that had twins as heifer , she had single as her 2nd and twins as her 3rd. Until I get lucky enough to have both survive I rather wouldn't have twins. as it's been said on here before I hate twins.

CB I think a twin would be easier to take care of then the :clap: Probably easier to give away for some people too! :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW, you know I mean that with lots of :heart:

crossbreed curt":3havx865 said:
The other day we had twins . How often do twins happen ?

Had first set of twins about 2wks. ago. My first in 15 yrs. To this point both are doing well. I run from 25-30 momma cows. I took great pains the first few days to see that everyone bonded. Momma is a good milker.

We have had two sets of twins. The first was from an old simmental cow. Both were born dead and we lost the cow soon after. The second came from a simmental heifer. Two strong bulls that she raised herself. (thats pretty good if you ask me, a first time mom feeding two bulls) The second cow hasnt produced any more twins.

My question: The second cow was a twin herself. Could this contriubute to a higher chance of her having twins?

i've got a 5 yr. old cow that hs had 3 sets of twins...2 times were both heifers and 1 time bull and heifer...i sell all my calves so i like twins...they have all weighed over 600 at 7 mths...charolais and herford cross

karlie45":3ih374wt said:
We have had two sets of twins. The first was from an old simmental cow. Both were born dead and we lost the cow soon after. The second came from a simmental heifer. Two strong bulls that she raised herself. (thats pretty good if you ask me, a first time mom feeding two bulls) The second cow hasnt produced any more twins.

My question: The second cow was a twin herself. Could this contriubute to a higher chance of her having twins?

There is a correlation but it doesn;t appear to be very strong. Some years ago ABS sold semen on bulls that were classified as twinners because their daughters had a better chance of twinning then other bulls daughters.

dun

dun":3lomf0yg said:
karlie45":3lomf0yg said:

There is a correlation but it doesn;t appear to be very strong. Some years ago ABS sold semen on bulls that were classified as twinners because their daughters had a better chance of twinning then other bulls daughters.

dun

My herd bull is a twin. Do you think that means his daughters are more likely to have twins?

Cattle Rack Rancher":32x9035j said:
My herd bull is a twin. Do you think that means his daughters are more likely to have twins?

Theoretically they should. There was a guy in IA or someplace like that who developed a line of twinners. Even with selecting for twins for multiple generations he still only got around 35% twins each year. I'm not 100% sure of the 35% but that's the number that sticks in my mind. I used to have a link to his site, I'll see if I can find it.

dun

dun":9jj66mcp said:
Theoretically they should. There was a guy in IA or someplace like that who developed a line of twinners. Even with selecting for twins for multiple generations he still only got around 35% twins each year. I'm not 100% sure of the 35% but that's the number that sticks in my mind. I used to have a link to his site, I'll see if I can find it.

dun

Here is a link to the University of Wisconsin's twin research
http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/research/twin/management.htm

Caustic Burno":37o8t1us said:
somn":37o8t1us said:
Rangenerd":37o8t1us said:
Unless you own a dairy then it seems like it happens 50% of the time. And then you get both sexes everytime.

I would rather have a dose of the :clap: than twins

After that wonderful Indian wife of yours got through with you, you'd be wishing for the twins. :nod:

Caustic Burno":1dlmrxu9 said:
somn":1dlmrxu9 said:
Rangenerd":1dlmrxu9 said:

I would rather have a dose of the :clap: than twins

So far I have had neither twins or the :clap: Thank God! :lol:

crossbreed curt":3hqe8bvf said:

Are some breeds more prone to twins or is it just genetics within the breed? I have had black crossbred cows for the most of 15yrs. Only one set of twins in that time. My brother has run about 60 charolais cows for over 30 yrs. He seems to have a set of twins almost every yr.

I have one set of twins so far and their doing fine. I get one set per about 50 cows. And about half the time I take the weak one and bottle feed it. It can be a pain during busy times.

But truth be known, I do believe I would rather deal with twin calves than get the :clap:

Cowdirt":2dj4pqsx said:
crossbreed curt":2dj4pqsx said:

Are some breeds more prone to twins or is it just genetics within the breed? I have had black crossbred cows for the most of 15yrs. Only one set of twins in that time. My brother has run about 60 charolais cows for over 30 yrs. He seems to have a set of twins almost every yr.

The European breeds seem to be more prone to twins than the British breeds. I know Chars, and Simmi's have a higher twinning rate.

Latest posts