Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 5 yr old red angus cow that had twin bulls last night. 75 lbs and 77 lbs, she has passed the placenta and both cavles have nursed. One calf is weaker and is not as aggresive nursing. I have given both bose and A&D. This is a nice big cow that weaned last years bull calf at 210 days weighing 780, I am worried that the weaker calf may not get enough milk, I am sure the cow has enough for both but not sure if the weaker one will get his share. Is it better to wait to supplement after few days so he can get collostrum and not be filled up on a bottle? Any advice? This was my 1st AI attempt last spring, I wasnt even sure she was bred!!!!!

Give them 24 hours, then if the one isn;t getting enough you can supplement with a bottle. We did that one year and every time the calf saw us she came running for her bottle, then went back to mom for a chaser. After a week we didn;t have to supplemnt.

dun

Congrats on the twins and the success with your first AI. Good job on your follow up too. I think Dun is right. Tell us how twin "B" is doing in a week.

Bret

put the weaker calf on the bottle.an leave it running with mom. you can train it to come in for the bottle.an he can still suck momma as well if he wants to.

Once he starts feeding from momma he won't take the bottle if he is getting plenty.

Latest posts