Twins when you know?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Good mourning, I have a question about twins. I have just a few cows and never had twins before. So I am a little curious on when you know when twins are coming? Besides when there are 2 calves standing there! :lol2: do you just watch a cow or do you palpate after a calf is born? Maybe there is a sign on what to look for if so any advice would be appreciated. thanks for your time

I've mostly only known when there were two calves on the ground.

Though, a couple of years back, biggest cow in the herd gave birth to a 69 lb heifer; every other cow that had calved to that bull in the preceding week had delivered calves averaging 96 lb. "I'll bet you there's another calf in there." I said... and there was... an 84 lb bull.

Yeah if I'm around and see its a smaller calf, I'll throw my hand in quickly to check. Few sets I had last yr came by themselves though. Had one set both in the 80 lb range.

A cow with a bigger belly then normal and thinner than the others cows is often a sign. Last year on 3 sets we had 2 with a full breach as first calf, so when you see a tail... A smaller calf then normal is a good sign and we have a 2005 cow with 3 pairs in her life so we put a glove and check her no matter what!

We had our cows ultrasounded in March he was right on target with due dates with the exception of the one set of twins. He never called twins so even with ultrasound you can get a surprise!

gizmom

gizmom":1j3w1g2a said:
We had our cows ultrasounded in March he was right on target with due dates with the exception of the one set of twins. He never called twins so even with ultrasound you can get a surprise!

gizmom
We also ultrasounded back in July to find out we have a set of twins coming, but I have heard of times where the twins may have perfectly aligned heartbeats and then they usually don't realize there are actually twins. Happened to one of the local vets where the ultrasounds kept telling them they had a daughter coming, and all of a sudden they were driving home from the hospital with twin sons!

We ultrasound also and I've had a set of twins every year the last 3 years, but none of them were ever caught on ultrasound. The one time the vet did say I cow had twins in her, she just had a single so not sure if she lost one or if there really wasn't twins in there. The oddest one of all was when she ultrasounded a cow that I had put an embryo in and she called her safe with a BULL calf due around Valentine's Day. I went out on Valentine's Day to check on her and she had twin HEIFERS! Embryo split. I still give her a hard time about that! And I always check for a twin if a cow has a calf way under average size. Better safe than sorry.

gizmom":1l3cl1t5 said:

gizmom

Same here. Cow twinned the first year, so the next breeding we had her ultrasounded. Vet said it was a single (remember, he was looking for twins). Guess what? She twinned AGAIN. Then AGAIN the third year! We put an embryo in her for the next calving (this fall), and she had a single this year. Funny thing, she was so used to raising twins, when she calved this fall, she was running around like she was missing one! I was sure she thought we had taken her second baby, even though she only had the one embryo calf! She gave us the evil eye for days, like we stole a calf from her and we were not getting her one left! :lol:

:nod: Yep, same deal here as Fire Sweep: Vet palpated a Registered 2010 born RA and missed that she was carrying twins born 10/15/2013. Never dreamed the cow would repeat the scenario the following year. Ahem…vet again failed to detect twins subsequently born 10/12/14. 2015 same song, third verse I suggested the vet check for twins. Response after a few minutes…OMG, yes, twins. 10/15/15 third set in a row. Remarkably, no calving problems whatsoever and even more amazing is her stellar CI. Spits them out in the blink of an eye, lovingly polishes them up and dotes on both in equal measure. Admittedly pamper her and deservedly so…5 year old cows who generate eight good paychecks have earned the right to a little TLC in my book. :D

Do twins usually come earlier? how much earlier? I am asking because I have a cow due early next month, but she seems to be huge. round on both sides. She was Ai'd by me with no exposure to any bull. so I am fairly certain of her calving date.

Latest posts