Twins didn't make it

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
My birthday was on Saturday (best time of year since I ALWAYS get a present or two) and I of course made a wish, which was for #57 to have a set of twin heifers (she's had twins before), or at least to have a heifer calf, which of course she didn't. Anyways, there was also another cow starting calve the same time as #57, this all started at about 10:30 so we kept watch, and at 1:00 she had what looked like the water bag, so we left her for another hour. At 2:00 we went out, and I could see what looked like the placenta. So we immediately ran her up into the barn and checked her out. And hubby says to me "you wished for twins, here you go".

The first one was breech, but we didn't have any trouble getting it straightened out, and it literally fell out at our feet, the second one was coming forward, and follwed quite quickly. The first calf was dead, but the second one seemed like it would be OK. It was having a bit of trouble breathing but nothing too exceptional, but in the end, it just seemed to give up. I even gave it mouth to mouth (ewwww). So, I guess I got my set of twin heifers, they just didn't make it.

To my thinking, with the breech calf, she was probably calving for a lot longer than we thought she was, and the 4 extra hours before we checked her out was just too long for the calves. That is the problem with breech, or upsidedown, or other malpresentations where the calf doesn't come up into the birth canal, a lot of the time the cow doesn't really act like she is calving, and even when you are watching closely, which we were, you can miss the signs.

We had two sets of twins last year. one set lived, momma only nursed one we had to bottle feed the other. next set were born dead. I don't like twins nether.

I love, footbal on TV,
Shots of Gina Lee.......
and TWINS!!!

Live twins that is. Live twins that are born during current market conditions.

lakading":de5e8qg9 said:
I love, footbal on TV,
Shots of Gina Lee.......
and TWINS!!!

Live twins that is. Live twins that are born during current market conditions.

I agree. I love to have twins, preferrably ALIVE!! I don't even mind a bit of extra work, and that is what nurse cows are for, if you don't end up needing them for another cow anyway.

There are always exceptions, BUT, both twins being born alive & survive are not real common - cow has lost BCS carrying the twins (whether they live or die) - common for them to be tangled up at calving - common for the cow to retain placenta - common for them to calve earlier than expected (meaning they may not be in the calving pen/area) - common for them to be late cycling, sometimes not getting bred back in calving season. Hmmmm, there must be more reasons to enjoy twins. :shock: Ah yes, IF they raise both calves, you have two smaller calves to sell rather than 1 - and yes, the two small usually outweigh the normal 1 - that's more money in the pocket - IF you didn't lose money getting her back into condition to breed, IF she didn't have both born dead.
Yup, I still HATE TWINS.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":dwldfbqt said:
There are always exceptions, BUT, both twins being born alive & survive are not real common - cow has lost BCS carrying the twins (whether they live or die) - common for them to be tangled up at calving - common for the cow to retain placenta - common for them to calve earlier than expected (meaning they may not be in the calving pen/area) - common for them to be late cycling, sometimes not getting bred back in calving season. Hmmmm, there must be more reasons to enjoy twins. :shock: Ah yes, IF they raise both calves, you have two smaller calves to sell rather than 1 - and yes, the two small usually outweigh the normal 1 - that's more money in the pocket - IF you didn't lose money getting her back into condition to breed, IF she didn't have both born dead.
Yup, I still HATE TWINS.

Come on Jeanne, don;t hold back, tell us how you really feel about twins

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3czfscr4 said:
Yup, I still HATE TWINS.
I totally agree with everything you wrote here Jeanne. The only time I like twins is if they somehow survive and I have another cow that has just lost a calf to which I can move one of the calves. That situation arose for me yesterday.

Beefmaker - that worked out well.
I'm not saying they NEVER turn out good. Had twin heifers last year, cow spit them out, cleaned, rebred early in season, raised both heifers. One was so good it was picked for big sale we're in next month. That worked out GREAT. Other one is small, but should fit into our breeding schedule.
Out of 3 sets of twins this year, got twin heifers again, different cow, spit them out, cleaned & hoping she rebreeds :shock:
But out of 3 sets of twins, got 3 live calves :shock: Completely lost 1 set, calved week before the live set, and was BONE skinny - just going to ship her - already had 1 strike against her, big udder & she's getting up there in age - 10 yrs - not real old, but getting culled.

I've had 3 sets of twins this year. Been selling off the rejected ones (One mamma kept both. Will have to keep an eye on her) at the sale barn for over $300 apiece and the mommas still get to raise a calf.

I agree that twins are usually a PAIN.

I like them so far this year though.

Latest posts