Twins and more Twins ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We just started our spring calving, 11 cows so far, and 3 of them had twins.
Do you manage round early calving - twin possible - cows any differently?

I hope your cows are blessed with all the twins that mine could be harbouring. One uterine prolapse and that is all the excitement I need this spring.

Aaron":3h2dqdo0 said:
I hope your cows are blessed with all the twins that mine could be harbouring. One uterine prolapse and that is all the excitement I need this spring.
Trade you a prolapse for a cesarean :p

Aaron":2q320qjh said:

Yes, I am blessed. The (hobby sheep farming) neighbor is totally jealous because I get more twins than him !

Sounds a bit like here. We had 3 sets of twins out of the first 7 bull bred cows to calve. We weren't even at day 281 post bull turn out yet. Lost the first set because one was coming butt first and we didn't realize it soon enough. I was afraid it was going to keep up, but those three were the only ones. I wonder if when you first turn out bulls, it can cause some cows who weren't cycling to go into some kind of super ovulation mode. Most of our twins have come in the first week or two of calving. We don't seem to have many out of cows that don't settle in the first few weeks.

Katpau":2l3hlnxe said:
Sounds a bit like here. We had 3 sets of twins out of the first 7 bull bred cows to calve. We weren't even at day 281 post bull turn out yet. Lost the first set because one was coming butt first and we didn't realize it soon enough. I was afraid it was going to keep up, but those three were the only ones. I wonder if when you first turn out bulls, it can cause some cows who weren't cycling to go into some kind of super ovulation mode. Most of our twins have come in the first week or two of calving. We don't seem to have many out of cows that don't settle in the first few weeks.

They come out of your most fertile cows, so your likely to see them only in the first cycle.

Had a set born yesterday. Cows started calving on March 1st. And this was the very last cow that had not calved. Go figure huh. I had her penned in a 1 acre pasture because I was almost certain it was going to be twins. A little extra feed and she should be good.

Nesikep":1rrtkz7s said:
Aaron":1rrtkz7s said:

Trade you a caesarean for a clean pair of overalls.

IMG_20160426_143452_zpscinyujtq.jpg

IMG_20160426_144410_zpsbdtdpywr.jpg

Aaron":3tovq2lg said:
Nesikep":3tovq2lg said:
Aaron":3tovq2lg said:

Trade you a caesarean for a clean pair of overalls.

IMG_20160426_143452_zpscinyujtq.jpg

IMG_20160426_144410_zpsbdtdpywr.jpg
Better not go into town with them on.. you'll be known as an axe murderer or something along those lines...

It's a messy job but somebody's got to do it (you're a somebody now!)

2nd set this year. 1st set was stillborn. I prefer singles most of the time over twins but twins are nice when momma loves them both and there are no complications.

We had one set of twins this year, momma was a twin herself, she's now 13 years old and this was her 2nd set of twins. She's been an excellent mother. Funny though, she's a medium shade of brown with face mottling, one twin is solid red, the other is a black baldy! Both heifers. :banana: