Twinning...

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
Had a set of dead twins last night, both were in normal calving position and trying to come through birth canal at the same time. Reached in and could feed 3 legs and 2 heads all just over elbow deep. Seems like bad luck, as she was so close to being able to push the one out.

This is the 5th year IN A ROW she has had twins. Genetics have to be playing a part....right??

Sorry about your loss. I lost a set of twins last year. Born to a heifer and both too small to make it. Then a few weeks ago I had a different cow lose a set of triplets. My luck is not too good.

We have a cow that 3 out of 4 births have been twins. She raises them also. We put an embryo in her this year, to give her a year off! If she learns how to split an embryo I will be rich!!! lol

There is a genetic element to twinning. Years ago ABS and the U of Neb worked on develping aline of twinning cattle. Fortunately the project died (oe was killed). When the calving works out right and the cow has the feed and the ability to feed twins it's ok. Sadly most time it isn;t worth it. The normal presentation for twins is one front feet first and the other back feed first.

bpwagner115":1ngmhhef said:
This is the 5th year IN A ROW she has had twins. Genetics have to be playing a part....right??
Last night, Christmas Eve, my niece and her husband came through the door with their 3 yr old daughter wearing a
Big Sister T-shirt. A couple hours later there was a wardrobe change and her shirt read... Twins!
2 yrs ago her brother and his wife had twin boys. Before that her cousin (my other brother's oldest daughter) had twin
boys. Seems we're on a twinning streak that hasn't happened before, only one pair of twins in our family over 60 years
ago (girls) now 3 pairs in 4 years. :)

We had our first set twins last night. Last year, we had 13 sets.

11 heifers calves in the last 24 hours (as of this morning), that's what we worked before noon.

Hoping we don't have as many twins this year but sure does help even the numbers of you lose a few.

Big weather system moving in, in the next day or two.

Latest posts