Twine/rope electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
We're planning on putting in some electric fencing in our hay fields as well as in some of our pastures, and the twine/rope type of fence looks pretty promising. Any advice/suggestions from anyone with some experience with it? Pros/cons vs. wire? This will be our first time to use electric so we're learning as we go. We live in a very humid part of Texas with mostly open pasture..no brush to work around. Also, anything easy to take down/put up is a plus, since we won't be needing it in the hay year-round.

Twine works great for temp fences but for permanent you want to go with hightensile 12.5 gauge.

Wire (12.5 gauge) for perimeter fence, 6 strand stainless steel conductor polywire for partitions, and Lowe's metal pigtail posts at $1.87 for interior posts for the polywire. You also need a very good charger. Nothing less than a ParMak SE4

We have used the rope fence from farm and fleet since it has came out. In the past we have used the high tensile too and had nothing but problems with it. I prefer the rope over anything else, it is very easy to put up. I also like that is is visible too. We have had no problems not even one where the animals have gotten out. We have always ran just 4 strands, all are hot. We have had cattle,horses and even goats(full size dairy and pygmy). The key to the fencing is having the right charger and enough ground rods put in for the miles of fencing you are putting up. On a side note, we have never had to do any fence repair, we have had deer go thru it and they never took the fence down unlike the high tensile. It is more costly but in my eyes well worth it. I think the animals respect it more and it is way more visible to them too. This is just my opinion on this and this is what have worked for us. Hope this helps you.

Latest posts