Twin update

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
Well the heifer didn't make it. I am not sure what happened. She had been perking up getting stronger and nursing well. She was gaining weight.

I do not think the cow hurt her. My dad said the calf didn't look like she had been tramplede or anything. He got back at 12 today and went to the pen and she was dead. She was fine yesterday evening. Both calves had access to water. Bull calf is healthy.

He said something about her nursing last night and then she just quit for some reason. He said it was strange.
I did however notice when i was there last weekend after having her nurse her mom, I never saw any signs that she had a bowel movement. So maybe there was something eternally wrong with her.

He said he saw what looked like blood as if she peed blood.

Cows all had their shots last year and are not due until June for this years shots.

So out of 4 brahman calves born this year. I have lost 2.
I hope things get better. I have more brahman calves due in August.

It is possible that there was something wrong with the heifer but I very much doubt it. Next time listen to the good advice you were given.

alisonb":3pvr7yzc said:
It is possible that there was something wrong with the heifer but I very much doubt it. Next time listen to the good advice you were given.

I would have to agree.... I don't even remember colostrum being discussed, which would have been priority #1.

If I had to guess, she starved to death... :(

alisonb":111hz3gn said:
SSGenetics":111hz3gn said:
alisonb":111hz3gn said:

I would have to agree.... I don't even remember colostrum being discussed, which would have been priority #1.

If I had to guess, she starved to death... :(

Heifer did not starve!
She was gaining weight. Cow was put in the chute and the heifer nursed in the morning. Cow was turned out during the day. And in the evening, when the cow was brought up(she had a full bag), she was put in the chute again and the heifer got to nurse as long as she wanted. This happened everyday since Monday. The heifer was getting milk.

I did not leave the calf in the pen and expect a miracle to happen and she could nurse mom on her own. I am not stupid. I followed the advice and the heifer did not make it.

Colostrum???

In the picture you posted she was obviously dehydrated and malnourished. It would take more than getting to nurse a couple times a day to recoupe from that.

SSGenetics":zk0x8xon said:
Colostrum???

In the picture you posted she was obviously dehydrated and malnourished. It would take more than getting to nurse a couple times a day to recoupe from that.

That picture was when i first found her. She was only 2 days old.
April 29
2012-04-29_10-33-59_550.jpg

Here is a picture of her Friday May 4

0504121953.jpg

Heifer was making a big recovery. I did get a little colostrum down her Sunday morning. She wouldn't nurse the bottle (She had the ability to suck she just did not want the bottle). She nursed her mom though. I poured colostrum in her mouth and made her swallow it.

Heifer was fine during the week drinking water nursing her mom until she was full.

This is the third calf I have lost in 10 years due to a nursing problem. I have lost a total of 4 calves since i have had cattle. 1 from some predator. 1 whose mom had mastitis. The one I got to too late last week. And now this one.

I am not an expert as some of you are and have not been in the business as long, but I have dealt with things like this before. I have dealt with calves who couldn't nurse and calves who were rejected. And the majority lived to be weaned from their moms and sold.