Twin Heiffer - Freemarten?

Help Support CattleToday:

EdenCampMO

Reaction score
OK, after searching the forums see that if the other twin is male there's a 90% chance the female will be sterile.
This is supposed to be the case due to the male hormones crossing placentas by blood.
That makes sense - but is there any indicators other than a vet check to tell if she's the 90% or the 10%?
The calf in question is a 6 wk holstien if it makes any difference.
The price is enticing, 30% less than a steer calf, but the odds not so much since I'm wanting to breed.
Thanks!

if you know or think she has a bull twin do not buy here.the chances of her breeding is very low if she has a bull twin.

You've got a handle on the odds (not good). You know your options (blood test). You know your cost (30% less than steer) if she's a freemarten. Sounds like, at that price, the risk is minimal.

There are only 2 ways to know for sure. The cheap and quick one is the bloodtest, the other is raise her and see if she will settle. Some freemartins are very obvious some are imposible to tell other then the 2 methods mentioned. Even if she should cycle, there is no gaurantee she will settle and carry the pregnancy.

I was debating that it seemed a pretty good no loss deal for $130. The sterile part threw me some.
I'm just getting started and have pasture and hay up the wazoo and nothing to eat it.
Yes, I'm not really focused on feeding out and a steer would get more size but also more $$ upfront. Feeding her out should make enough to come back and maybe buy a good older bred cow later with the cash. That there is the 10% chance as a bonus she would test good. Don't really have option to test before hand - at this price snag and run or snooze ya looze.

Yeah, there are a bunch of "deals" I wish I would have snoozed right through.

Did a search of free martens on this site and that's where the numbers and info from hormones transversing placentas came from.
When it comes down to placentas touching and passing hormones through osmosis or blood transferrence it's actually harder to believe it's not close to 100%. IIf that is the case with a 40% less upfront cost and plenty of pasture and taking into consideration the lower weight/fetch price of her being fed out is it still a better deal than a steer. That's what I'm wading through figuring out.
What sounds like a decent deal to a novice may not be to more experienced ranchers.
My situation with not being pressed with pasture and short on cash starting out is a different situation than many of you are in now.
Dosen't mean I'm not asking for the voice of experience and certainly not that I don't want to actually digest input offered.
Its appreciated - really.
I'm not in luv with the heifer and unable to walk away.
It's businesss.
Just trying to get schooled so I can make a decent decision for this particlar situation.
I'm teachable. :tiphat:

I am one of the few around here that is avocating to feed freemartins out.They require only grass and no feed, they taste heavenly because they put so much marbling on, and if they are fertile they can become cows.I have had one twin heifer being fertile and some twelwe or fourteen that were freemartins. Also i am no fan of holstein cows.

cow pollinater":33shnfs9 said:
I don't know where you got 90% but in my experiance it's quite a bit higher than that.
I was told one in ten will be good. I have never heard of anyone that got that ONE. I sure didn't and she was perfect in appearance and the probe was too close to tell, blood test confirmed, sterile. Fed her out, she did well in the freezer.

Thanks all for the imput! Decided to pay another $70 ($200) and got a 5 wk old angus cross hef instead.
Go poke around and see if I can find a decent proven nurse cow and be done with that.

Latest posts