Twin Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

RainMan

Reaction score
One of my cows calved twin heifers yesterday. Anyone know of any problems regarding fertility or other issues I should be aware of with this scenario ? All seem to be doing well at this point.

CW

Nope. Only issues if you have a bull and a heifer. Then there is a pretty good chance of having a Free Martin heifer.

Have had Heifer twins before no problem one of the twins later had male and female twins and again no problem The second set was fertile also.

milesvb":166ekjiz said:
I've read before on here that heifers born twin will themselves have a propensity to twin. Maybe whoever brought that up will chime in.

We own a heifer who was a twin, and her mother was also a twin. I know that some breeds of cattle have been selected for twinning (MARC Twinners), so I believe it is genetic. She's due next month, and I worry about her. I'm weighing the cost of having the vet to ultrasound when we preg check vs. worrying about losing one, both or all three.

Congrats on the surprise...always nice to double your $$ on a single throw...don't know much on the probality of twinning, never had any while a neighbor's cow has then every year.

We had twin heifers two and a half years ago. They have both calved now (single calves) with no problems or assistance. Both are fertile and both had good calves.

Other then the possible lack of milk for 2 calves and/or the condition of the cow going down hill from the drain of feeding two calves, there aren;t any issues with the calves. Other then the possibility they may be more prone to twinning which was already mentioned.

dun

Forgot to mention, one calf was rejected by mom on the second day or so. Almost lost it. Keep an eye on them. It may be good to pen them until the calves get a little salty.

Thanks for the replies. I was told at the time of purchase that the cows (AAA REG#13916008) dam and granddam were both twinners but the way my luck has been running I thought a lottery ticket would have better odds. Makes you wonder about the genetic end of it. Properly done, sure wouldn't take long to build a herd with heifer twins each time, which isn't what I'm trying to do. Maybe I'll send Dave a picture ;-)

CW

Latest posts