Turtle

Help Support CattleToday:

Terrapin comes from the "family", that they are named for... Terrapene.... Lots of them usually around here in Va but there seem to be less and less.... Habitat being destroyed... and them getting on the roads all the time and getting squished. They do not relocate well, so if you move them off the road... try to do so in the direction they are travelling or they get disoriented and will go back.....I also make it a habit to try to move them off the road. Some seem to get real "mean" when caught up... some just close up and will stay that way for hours...
Hard to prove but I feel the disc mowers have destroyed a lot of them. I have found lots of them over the years. Their shell is no protecting from the disc's spinning at 3500rpm.

Hard to prove but I feel the disc mowers have destroyed a lot of them. I have found lots of them over the years. Their shell is no protecting from the disc's spinning at 3500rpm.
A neighbor, says the same thing, he says the disc mowers are why we hardly see them anymore.

Disc mowers are very destructive to any type of animal. I agree that they are probably a reason for some of the decline.... looking at that shell @Lazy M found is a perfect example of how easily they can destroy the turtle in short order. I don't blame him for picking it up and using it. But, there are alot more deaths from a disc mower than a haybine or a sicklebar type mower and most has to do with the speed of the blades and the ground speed that they are operated. I think I have only seen 2 turtles on the road this year. One I put off

Disc mowers are very destructive to any type of animal. I agree that they are probably a reason for some of the decline.... looking at that shell @Lazy M found is a perfect example of how easily they can destroy the turtle in short order. I don't blame him for picking it up and using it. But, there are alot more deaths from a disc mower than a haybine or a sicklebar type mower and most has to do with the speed of the blades and the ground speed that they are operated. I think I have only seen 2 turtles on the road this year. One I put off, the other was about at the edge, so I think he made it okay. Usually see a half dozen or more. Might have had to do with the extremely dry weather we had and maybe they stayed more in the woods and edges of fields?

Sorry for the double post... could not delete the first one as it uploaded before I finished typing... Computer is doing some quirky stuff... screen wouldn't come on the other day... think is is dying...

Recon disc mowers will ever be outlawed?
Are they legal in California? Seems like a lot of different things I see say cannot be shipped to California, or they have to meet certain specifications to be used there.
As far as the disc mowers go they sure have been an improvement for the farmer, over the old sickle mowers we had when I was young.

No shortage of turtles here. By providing water storage for our livestock we have created conditions favourable for a lot of wildlife to thrive at levels greater than before white settlement. We are coming up to our storm season and seeing turtles hoofing it on the road is a sure sign that some rain is only a couple of days away as they get the urge to spread their genetics.

Ken

No shortage of turtles here. By providing water storage for our livestock we have created conditions favourable for a lot of wildlife to thrive at levels greater than before white settlement. We are coming up to our storm season and seeing turtles hoofing it on the road is a sure sign that some rain is only a couple of days away as they get the urge to spread their genetics.

Ken
So thats what the turtles are up to?🤔🤔
Side note, i hate turtles. I don't have a good reason why. I mean as i kid i enjoyed watching the teenaged mutant turtles, so idk. I dislike them as much as i do deer, wild hogs, and out of state drivers. No issues with turkeys though.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

So thats what the turtles are up to?🤔🤔
Side note, i hate turtles. I don't have a good reason why. I dislike them as much as i do deer,
I like turtles, they and 3 toed sloths are about the only animals I can out run. :)
I hate rats and have a strong dislike for deer hanging around roads, but like deer hanging in freezer lockers waiting to be processed. :)

Latest posts