Turtle

Help Support CattleToday:

A buddy of mine in Chattanooga stops his car every time he sees one on the road and moves it off to safety. He's got me to where if I see one on a weekend I'll film myself performing a "turtle rescue" in his honor. He gets a big kick when I text him the video.

I dare not mention the ones that meet their fate under my tires.

A buddy of mine in Chattanooga stops his car every time he sees one on the road and moves it off to safety. He's got me to where if I see one on a weekend I'll film myself performing a "turtle rescue" in his honor. He gets a big kick when I text him the video.

I dare not mention the ones that meet their fate under my tires.
We'd like to see your turtle rescue video..

Set one out of the road a few days ago as it was in a blind curve and its minutes were numbered. It rolled off the bank and hopefully to not get back in the road.

are they called taraupins or something like that? I see them quite often.. picked one up recently and moved it out of the way of the tractor where I was working at.

I remember my dad used to stop and get them out of the road, Once I remember him getting a fired up snapping turtle out of the way. He had it by the tail and it had its neck stretched out trying to bite him.
@Banjo I've always heard them called tarpins or terrapins too.

Terrapin comes from the "family", that they are named for... Terrapene.... Lots of them usually around here in Va but there seem to be less and less.... Habitat being destroyed... and them getting on the roads all the time and getting squished. They do not relocate well, so if you move them off the road... try to do so in the direction they are travelling or they get disoriented and will go back.....I also make it a habit to try to move them off the road. Some seem to get real "mean" when caught up... some just close up and will stay that way for hours...

Saw on the internet where a Oriental fellow was being prosecuted for shipping 1000's overseas to China I think . He was released but several box turtles were saved.

Thank you for saving all the turtle species. They are important to the ecosystem and the populations of most reptiles, including turtles are in decline.

Love turtles, got three that come around on my patio to eat bread. Told my wife that if I could teach them to dance we could make a million. They are trying but their hind legs are to short. I'm working on the four leg shuffle. Don't laugh, Col Tom Parker's gig before Elvis was dancing chickens.

I have a low water bridge where I will sit to enjoy the silence and the sounds of the creek. It is dry now. I hear the grass rustling behind me and then a snapper walks out across the bridge. I go over to say hello and see what looks like a cow hoof print on his left shoulder of his shell. He seemed ok, he Just kept going.

Latest posts