Turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what turnips make good sized root bulbs one year and don't make any roots in other years? This year the greens are as pretty as I have ever seen, but not a turnip under them. They are the purple top variety. Last couple of years, they made great, 3 years ago didn't make anything. Same thing happens with radishes, some years nice eating, other years nothing below. Some years I have planted turnips 3 or 4 plantings, a few days apart. Some planting made and some didn't. Just wonder if anyone knows why

don't know if ya figure it out let me know

I planted some one yr had turnips bigger than softballs next yr they were the size of golfballs and like you said the tops were huge

I thought it had to do with fertility and water but I am not sure
I planted some on the ground where my litter was dumped and they were huge planted some the same yr in another litter spot and they weren't very big at all
the only difference was they were from 2 difference bags but bought at the same place

I'd say something to do with an extra cold winter,seeds planted too thick, fertility or insect damage. I know they love the nitrogen fertilizer.

Too much nitrogen will cause beautiful leaf growth but small/no tubers, potassium and phosphorus are important for tuber development so application should be correct. Being an annual plant, temperatures are also vital so if the temps in your region were a little haywire that could be a reason. I doubt it is too much water as you would see that on the leaf growth(pale green/yellowish)? I would also check up on companion plants and on what was planted in the area before the turnips.
My guess would be your nitrogen application though....?

We planted our pretty late - like late August! Rain was real slow going up here north of you. Planted in 2 different gardens and say about 400 feet and opposite ends of the "yard". The seeds that landed in a heavy compost patch are very sweet and nice bulbs. The rest in this garden are also sweet and a little slower growing - lots of roots sprouting out of the bulbs, searching for water? They turnips in the other garden are nice size now but are of a slightly "hotter" taste but still good. The rain last week really got them going.
Valerie

Thanks for the thoughts. Two of the turnip patches were planted where I knocked down the corn, green beans, and tomatoes. I do that every year. I fertilized these and they have nice greens but no bulbs. Most years, these produce huge turnips with this method. The other patch, I scattered a few front end loader scoops of barnyard rotten manure and planted the seed with no fertilize. I have the biggest tops I ever saw, over knee high, but no bulbs. Could be weather, maybe too much nitrogen, but they aren't too thick. Maybe the seed bin said Purple Top but actually contained the Seven Top Greens variety? Or maybe the seed bin was labeled correctly and I just can't read---LOL. Valerie, glad yours have done well.

stocky":1boambic said:
Thanks for the thoughts. Two of the turnip patches were planted where I knocked down the corn, green beans, and tomatoes. I do that every year. I fertilized these and they have nice greens but no bulbs. Most years, these produce huge turnips with this method. The other patch, I scattered a few front end loader scoops of barnyard rotten manure and planted the seed with no fertilize. I have the biggest tops I ever saw, over knee high, but no bulbs. Could be weather, maybe too much nitrogen, but they aren't too thick. Maybe the seed bin said Purple Top but actually contained the Seven Top Greens variety? Or maybe the seed bin was labeled correctly and I just can't read---LOL. Valerie, glad yours have done well.
Thanks, they sure are sweet this year. I'm afraid the cold is going to get them ..too bad they can't be frozen.
Valerie

Valerie,
If you will leave those turnips in the ground, they will freeze and then when it warms up and they thaw out, they will be just as good as before frozen, sometimes even better. If they freeze after they have been pulled, they will rot, they won't be good to eat. Just don't bother them until they have had a chance to thaw out and warm up. Purple tops freeze in the ground and thaw a few times before they are no good. I guess it depends on just how cold it gets and how many times. The white ones that I like---Tokyo Cross, will not be any good if they freeze in the ground. I do not know what the difference is.

Latest posts