Turkey Virgin

Help Support CattleToday:

Now that the coyote population has been adjusted we are getting the hens up on the ridge above the house again. My neighbor sees the gobblers and a few jakes but he is farther up the hill than we are. Haven't hunted in years, to old and fart to much to be hiding in the woods. DMc

Susie David":2igsy4sm said:
Now that the coyote population has been adjusted we are getting the hens up on the ridge above the house again. My neighbor sees the gobblers and a few jakes but he is farther up the hill than we are. Haven't hunted in years, to old and fart to much to be hiding in the woods. DMc

That has stopped my dad!! :D :shock:

Susie David":25g3ejhk said:
Haven't hunted in years, to old and fart to much to be hiding in the woods. DMc

Maybe that's why I am shut out so far!!
:lol:

Folks on that course told us that turkeys couldn't smell worth a darn, so pickled eggs and beans were OK, as long as you kept them silent but deadly.
:lol:
One more day in the season, but doubt I'll have too much time to hunt.

I am a certified hunter instructor in Alabama. I can not remeber the year but there is a group of people that were gradnfathered (if born before this year not required to take hunter safety course to get hunting license).

I also am an Ag. teacher to me and from the point of view of DNR hunter safety courses is not only about teaching hunting safety but in educating people. Educating people a. on firearm safety, b. how to safely hunt, c. teaching the benifits of hunting as a means of keeping animal populations healthy and viable, d. teaching students the main concerns of non hunters, e. teaching them were money for DNR and most all wildlife programs come from.

A side note, on funding for DNR. Did you know that DNR recieves no Federal Tax money. Funding for DNR saleries and all thier wildlife projects come from the excise tax on firearms, ammo, fishing supplies set forth by the Pittman-Robertson Act, from duck stamps, hunting license and if you get technical fines.

That means that all of the work being done to protect wildlife and to restore endagered species is being done by hunters & fishermen and not bleeding heart environmentalist. It also means that if you are not a hunter, fisherman, or gun enthusiast you don't provied any funding for DNR. This is a point I try to really bring out in class so that people understand that hunters and fishermen are really wildlife's best friend.

By the way at my school I teach 7 -12 but all the 7th and 8th graders (boys and girls take my class). I require all my students to take the hunter safety course as part of their 7th grade Introductory Ag class. Trying to do my part to educate the masses so that hunting and fishing continue to exist for posterity

phillse":582ecxo4 said:
That means that all of the work being done to protect wildlife and to restore endagered species is being done by hunters & fishermen and not bleeding heart environmentalist.

Great post phillse.

On our course ( which was excellent ) the history of how turkeys were re-introduced to Ontario was laid out. It was all done and paid for by hunters working with our Natural Resources Ministry.

Once the birds were well established it was announced a limited hunt could take place. Well guess which maggots crawled out of the wood work - the tree hugging animal rights terrorists. They wanted the plans to hunt stopped.

Well once the fact that hunters were the ones to re-establish the birds was laid out to government - the tree huggers had no leg to stand on. And probably never will.

Keep up the great work with the kids!

ALX

Oh, and on a side note - ALX may open this post next year to announce losing virginity - it didn't happen in 2007 :(

Latest posts