Tuli Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS

Reaction score
Just spent the last hour reading about TULI cows ect. They seem to be the cow of all cows, The all American dream. I was going to start with Herefords but now I may try to find some Tuil. Does any one have any comments, good or bad about the Tuli Breed. Thanks Again

If you go to all of the breed sites for your information, every cow you read about will be "the cow of all cows, The all American dream."

Texan":3u6e42c8 said:
If you go to all of the breed sites for your information, every cow you read about will be "the cow of all cows, The all American dream."
Ya, your right about that, just like buying a new truck

I bred Tuli cattle for over 30 years in the harshest African conditions and exported the first Tulis to Namibia in 1978, and further groups to South Africa. The main reason Tuli cattle were not imported into the U.S.A earlier was purely political,there was certainly enough interest from top American geneticists. They are not all things to all breeders, I never recommend them for the colder,wetter, states.
For heat resistance, low maintenance,fertility and docility there is no existing commercial breed that can equal them in harsh conditions, especially as a base breed in a crossbreeding program.I will be pleased to answer specific questions on the breed.
All the best,Andy.

Andybob":1syq5145 said:
I bred Tuli cattle for over 30 years in the harshest African conditions and exported the first Tulis to Namibia in 1978, and further groups to South Africa. The main reason Tuli cattle were not imported into the U.S.A earlier was purely political,there was certainly enough interest from top American geneticists. They are not all things to all breeders, I never recommend them for the colder,wetter, states.
For heat resistance, low maintenance,fertility and docility there is no existing commercial breed that can equal them in harsh conditions, especially as a base breed in a crossbreeding program.I will be pleased to answer specific questions on the breed.
All the best,Andy.
Thanks Andy, They sound like what I need here in SW Texas. We are having a bad drought as we speak. Now if I can find some down here, what bull can I X them with.

Thanks Again

ROCKSPRINGS":125t0drh said:
Andybob":125t0drh said:
All the best,Andy.
Thanks Andy, They sound like what I need here in SW Texas. We are having a bad drought as we speak. Now if I can find some down here, what bull can I X them with.

Thanks Again
Just read more of the Tuli Association web sight and they suggest X with a Brahman.

The Tuli breeders association site has a breeders page,otherwise,phone the secretary. It would be a good idea to see at least one Tuli herd as close to your farm as possible.Angus probably sell best in your area, they cross well with Tuli,my in-laws cross Red Angus and sell finished steers of top quality on a private agreement. I am planning on seeing some Texan Tulis later this year as I definately intend starting with Tulis again here in the U.S.

Tulis are showing promise here in Australia with a few cattlebreeders using them in composite breeding programs. Several Droughtmaster breeders have crossed their Dms with South Devon and then brought in Tuli to cross over that first cross. I have a friend that has crossed them over Charbray with good results,actually the lighter coloured ones are not unlike lower Brahman content Charbray.
Colin

Tulis are showing promise here in Australia with a few cattlebreeders using them in composite breeding programs. Several Droughtmaster breeders have crossed their Dms with South Devon and then brought in Tuli to cross over that first cross. I have a friend that has crossed them over Charbray with good results,actually the lighter coloured ones are not unlike lower Brahman content Charbray.
Colin
The Kjdman cattle company developed two composites for their conditions on different cattle stations, one was a straight Tuli/Murray Grey the other, a cross between the first cross and Charbray, they chose to go for all white in their program, as ther reasaerch found this to be the better colour for heat tolerance under their conditions.

Just spent the last hour reading about TULI cows ect. They seem to be the cow of all cows, The all American dream. I was going to start with Herefords but now I may try to find some Tuil. Does any one have any comments, good or bad about the Tuli Breed. Thanks Again
Can't speak for Tuli in America but from my Zimbabwean experience, the Tuli is highly adaptable even in the driest regions of the country where rainfall falls way below 500mm per annum. It also thrives well on both sweet and sour veld. Growth rates are remarkable and sexual maturity is early. Meat quality is great with good marbling.

Latest posts