Tucker Milling 12% beef pellets ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
A local feed store started carrying these. Anyone on here used this feed on calves ? Most of the feed we have around here is gluten pellets, soy hull pellets and some cottonseed hulls. I was wondering about the feed value of the wheat midds and the rice meal since we`ve never used it before.

jd720":17h27f8v said:
A local feed store started carrying these. Anyone on here used this feed on calves ? Most of the feed we have around here is gluten pellets, soy hull pellets and some cottonseed hulls. I was wondering about the feed value of the wheat midds and the rice meal since we`ve never used it before.
jd it's probably a pretty good feed. Wheat midds are a very digestible, medium protein (15%) grain by-product with good energy and rice mill feed is a mixture of rice bran and rice hulls. One part bran and two parts hulls if memory serves me right. Bran is good, hulls are worthless. Still it has some good ingredients which should make it a good feed if the price is right. A few of the ingredients listed do nothing but run the price up (diatomaceous earth, Kaolin, etc).

Thanks TB that`s what I needed to know. It`s more expensive than what I get in bulk but I only have to go 5 miles to get it. Right now my driveway is way too soggy to get a feed truck in without tearing it up so just trying to get by for a week or two.

We tried them one time about a year ago. Cows wouldn't touch them. Had to mix them in with the regular feed that we used to get them to eat it. Several other farmers in the area also had problems with their cows not eating this feed. Local vet said that it could be the mineral oil that was used in the process that gave the feed a bad taste to the cattle when we switched feed. The feed store we bought from no longer carries it due to being a slow mover compared to other feed he carries.

kilroy60":2ecico8u said:
We tried them one time about a year ago. Cows wouldn't touch them. Had to mix them in with the regular feed that we used to get them to eat it. Several other farmers in the area also had problems with their cows not eating this feed. Local vet said that it could be the mineral oil that was used in the process that gave the feed a bad taste to the cattle when we switched feed. The feed store we bought from no longer carries it due to being a slow mover compared to other feed he carries.
Feed companies usually don't restrict an ingredient to one feed. If they use mineral oil in this one they most likely use mineral oil in a large majority of their feed. If mineral oil is the problem you'd think they would hardly be selling anything. Give the cattle time to adjust to the feed change, make the change gradually and I bet they end up eating it. Mineral oil is basically tasteless and odorless and many companies use it.

I've used it in the past, there were times when some of the cows wouldn't touch it.. I alway said musta been the smell of rat pizz.. The mill is only a few miles from me..a lot of the locals carry it..

A few of the ingredients listed do nothing but run the price up (diatomaceous earth, Kaolin, etc).
Yeah, but the semi-organic urban farmers see those 2 ingredients on the label and their eyes will widen, they start breathing fast, and have the "Big O" right in the feed store. DE and Kaolin are right there with the very high Holy Grail for those all natural folks.
That's why those 2 are in there..to help sell it to the all-naturalists/organic-as-we-can-be folks...

greybeard":2bbe90dk said:
A few of the ingredients listed do nothing but run the price up (diatomaceous earth, Kaolin, etc).
Yeah, but the semi-organic urban farmers see those 2 ingredients on the label and their eyes will widen, they start breathing fast, and have the "Big O" right in the feed store. DE and Kaolin are right there with the very high Holy Grail for those all natural folks.
That's why those 2 are in there..to help sell it to the all-naturalists/organic-as-we-can-be folks...
Very true. Sort of funny....got mineral oil in it which tends to loosen the stool quite a bit, then counter that with kaolin which stops them up. And DE is a "flow agent" or anti-caking agent when included in feeds. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts