Tsc in little town Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
wow-wee TSC just opend their doors yesterday here in Bowie. Guess that means we're getting bigger.
Really don't care for tsc but only thing we had was wallyworld and an ace hdw. that was closed on sundays.It will be pretty handy incase of an emergency anyhow.

Cal

TSC is good for things you cant get on sundays.an they may have a few things you cant find elsewhere.i use them a good bit.

I've never been in a TSC store. I wish they had one in Montgomery, Alabama. The local little feed and ranch supply stores are helpful but expensive. I usually leave them feeling like I just got Raped. Tom :cboy:

lets hope they have a better selection of things you can actually use than the one here... Pink purse anyone????? :shock:

5minpins":s5xf9ihd said:
lets hope they have a better selection of things you can actually use than the one here... Pink purse anyone????? :shock:

I stoped in on the way back from checking cattle,on opening day.
Really looked like they had some pretty good stock.
Didn't price anything though,was in a hurry to get home. Granny said the beans were done.

Cal

I'm glad Tractor Supply is there.
Yeah, it is "help yourself".
Competitive prices for lubricants, fence posts, trailer parts (brake controllers, hitches, etc), air compressors. And if you need it at 3 pm on Sunday, they rock.
We have a good competitor in the area. That helps a lot. If they are smart, they charge higher prices where they have no competition.

Was always a fan of TSC until they came to Texarkana. I call it the weekend warrior store. They have become a hobby farmer store and their inventory stinks. We did complain to corporate one time when we went in for mower blades and they were still out of stock and had been for a month or better (during the height of hay season). We got a whole envelope full of coupons none for less than 25% off. Didn't change the future of inventory control though.

Went in my first Atwoods two weeks ago. I sure like them alot better. Of course I don't have one local yet.

One more thing...

They sure have crazy ideas about what is farm-use (tax exempt) and what is not. They went so far as to tell me that the Texas Comptroller went to every store in Texas and identified farm-use items. Of course the Comptroller's office said differently. They even tax horse feed here at our store.

farmwife":2cqi89dz said:
One more thing...

They sure have crazy ideas about what is farm-use (tax exempt) and what is not. They went so far as to tell me that the Texas Comptroller went to every store in Texas and identified farm-use items. Of course the Comptroller's office said differently. They even tax horse feed here at our store.

Had a "stand up for my rights" moment with a local lumber yard several years ago over what is "tax exempt for farm use". I can see where horse feed could be a "gray area" much like dog food. Feed for farm and ranch animals or wild game is exempt from tax. Feed for pets is taxable.

1982vett":rkhwdxg2 said:
farmwife":rkhwdxg2 said:
One more thing...

Had a "stand up for my rights" moment with a local lumber yard several years ago over what is "tax exempt for farm use". I can see where horse feed could be a "gray area" much like dog food. Feed for farm and ranch animals or wild game is exempt from tax. Feed for pets is taxable.

They pretty much tax anything they deem as horse-use regardless if you plan to use it on a cow or not (Ex. Kopertox, Iodine)

farmwife":1sv4xx4b said:
They pretty much tax anything they deem as horse-use regardless if you plan to use it on a cow or not (Ex. Kopertox, Iodine)

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/t ... 4_101.html
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/t ... 6_1112.pdf
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/t ... 8_584.html

I think the deal with horses is that more often than not, a horse is viewed as a pet or used as recreation by the owner and is not used in connection with raising, or producing agricultural products. Now if that horse is used to work cattle, pull a plow, or one the courts have taken away (meat for food), I would stand at the counter and argue my right to the "farm use exemption" or take my business elsewhere which would include my taxable purchases.

Same with dogs, most are pets, but items used for working dogs that are used to herd animals should be tax exempt. Rule 3.296 gets into detail about this. http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... h=3&rl=296, interesting how it is kind of hidding in plain sight. This is what helped win my battle.

We are beat over the head every day with laws, rules, and regulations. It was nice to swing back for once and plant one. :banana:

Rather good assortment at the store close to us once you get past the clothes and the toys. The feed is priced about 25% higher than the local feed stores, but most everything else is price well. Good selection of tools for the farm.

john250":32jfzbiq said:
Competitive prices for lubricants, fence posts, trailer parts (brake controllers, hitches, etc), air compressors. And if you need it at 3 pm on Sunday, they rock.
We have a good competitor in the area. That helps a lot. If they are smart, they charge higher prices where they have no competition.

I'm jealous! the one here has none of that stuff...they stock according to the demographic they say. So clothes purses and toys are the mainstay along with the giant dog food section, weed killer, bug killer and cheap horse tack. they do have 3 point implements and fence posts and feed but if you need a blade or a shear pin forget it....they never have that stuff in stock.

5minpins":2g2u6o7o said:
john250":2g2u6o7o said:

I'm jealous! the one here has none of that stuff...they stock according to the demographic they say. So clothes purses and toys are the mainstay along with the giant dog food section, weed killer, bug killer and cheap horse tack. they do have 3 point implements and fence posts and feed but if you need a blade or a shear pin forget it....they never have that stuff in stock.

Make a complaint to corporate and get you some discount coupons.

Our local TSC has it's good points and bad points. The front of the store looks like a western wear store on one side and a toy store on the other. However, they stock a lot of hardware and fencing supplies that sometimes can't be found in other stores. I went to our Co-op to buy some fiberglass fence posts and a backrubber about a month ago. They had neither one. So next I went to the mom and pop feed store in town. I bought the fence posts there but they didn't have a backrubber. Went across the highway to TSC and bought my backrubber there and saw that their fiberglass posts were almost a dollar cheaper. The local guys will have to do a better job with stocking and pricing if they want to compete. I gave them first shot, and they let me down. Our store attracts the bullriders and their hangers-on, the folks with a few chickens, horse folks, cattlemen, and pet owners. There's a good cross section of folks there.

The one on Cleburne has the ugliest boots I have ever seen. It's good for spray paint and horse wormer. If you need help, though, that ain't gomma happen at that store. The one in Burleson is better. I did get Steve a jacket there once that he wanted. They are also good for calf stuff when you are in a pinch. Probios, electrolytes...

Lammie":1x4cy3rv said:
The one on Cleburne has the ugliest boots I have ever seen. It's good for spray paint and horse wormer. If you need help, though, that ain't gomma happen at that store. The one in Burleson is better. I did get Steve a jacket there once that he wanted. They are also good for calf stuff when you are in a pinch. Probios, electrolytes...

And a bearing for a 20 year old baler on a Sunday they had. Hydraulic fittings and hoses on Sunday for my FEL while moving hay off the fields. Bolts by the pound rather than each. They have their good and bad points like all the stores. My biggest problem is they are 31 miles one-way from the farm.

flaboy":3fndo1fi said:
Bolts by the pound rather than each. They have their good and bad points like all the stores.

Bolts are my biggest smiling point. Home Depot and Lowes drove out the home town hardware folks and neither place stocks large grade 8 bolts. When they have a 5/8 you have to buy it in an individual package. TSC kicks tail on bolts all the way up to 1 inch.

I still get my feed and a few other things from the maw and pa feed stores. They treat me right, stroke my ego etc. Its personal with them. They value their customers.

Yeah, and you likes looking at the ladies in there too, doncha, BHB? :D

Lammie":2h04ccxg said:
Yeah, and you likes looking at the ladies in there too, doncha, BHB? :D

Only if they are there :D Lately there haven't been any in there trolling. The results must not have been productive for them. They were trolling in there pretty thick a while back.

Latest posts