Trying to understand cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Halfy

Reaction score
Thank you so much for allowing me to register on this forum. I do not own any cattle but live next door to a field of cows. I have located the farmer who tells me they are between 12 to 18 months old, three girls and 12 heffers who have all been "lopped" as he put it; with a "proper" bull expected to join them late June. I have so many questions to ask you so I hope I don't overload you or repeat any questions that have already been answered previously - If I do then I apologise in advance as I don't want to natter the farmer. I have already found quite a number of answers by reading this forum prior to joining.

These cattle were brought into the field three weeks ago and are absolutely stunning. If we (the family) stand by the fence they will approach us very slowly then allow us to stroke their heads. Over the last few days we have noticed that if we are not already in the garden when they come to our side of the fence they will start to moo loudly until we go out and give them some attention.

So my first question is this. I've noticed that on some days they seem to be terribly bothered with flies and midges all around them and I wondered if we could do anything to help them.

Second question: During the last three days, although they always follow each other around, they seem to enter the field (they are allowed to wander between three) and literally walk around the four sides of the field then leave. When they do this they seem to moo quite a lot, and I wonder if this means anything.

I'll leave it at this for now while I continue reading through the forum, and would appreciate any feedback you can give me please, or if you could direct me in the direction of the behaviour of cattle that may help me even more.

Not that is REALLY matter but where are you. There is a tab to put location on your username and that helps us give you better answers sometimes.

After reading you post the first thing I would do is advise you to no try to do anything to your neighbors cattle(like fly control) now if he asks you that is different but don't touch them otherwise.

For what it's worth though I don't know anyone who does not want a phone call to tell them that they have a calf out or a sick animal.

I wouldn't dream of interfering with cattle 3WC as you can tell I don't understand enough about them, and I live in Yorkshire, UK.

I have already located who the farmer is and made myself known to him when his cows decided to charge the barbed wire fence between the two fields. He is really friendly and enjoyed talking about his animals.

Thanks for replying so quickly - appreciated.

Cows don;t even understand cows. About the time you think you have things figured out something will change. The first person that tottally understands them and writes a book will be a milionaire. Just enjoy them, if one gets out or is obvisouly sick let the owner know. Don;t be feeding them anything over the fence without first checking with the owner. Alos, there are some owners that don;t want their cattle to be petted, might check on that too.

Yes Jeanne, there is plenty of grass in all three fields they wander around. They'll be shattered tonight walking and running around all day, and all that "mooing" - I've never seen it before.

Thanks Dun, I never thought to even ask the farmer whether he minded us petting them - they do seem to enjoy it and try to lick our hands while we're stroking their faces. I'm getting so interested in these animals now that I want to get to know the farmer more, but I don't want to become a nuisance so I can't ring him again, unless of course I feel something is wrong. He did tell me that he was hoping that his three cows will become pregnant with the new bull that is due to arrive late June, so that will be lovely.

I asked him whether they may be able to charge into our garden, and he told me that although he's put up a barbed wire fence and we've got a wall at this side, if they wanted to get in then they would - but only if they were frightened or thought there was something better to eat on this side of the fence.

I think cattle like to know there restricted areas well. If there is a flaw or weak spot in the fence they will play with it until they can fit through it. Don't you know, "The grass is allways greener on the other side of the fence"

Welcome to Cattle Today and don't be afaraid to ask questions.

If you are truly interested in cattle, you may want to approach the farmer and tell him that. Maybe there is something you could volunteer to help him with. Exchange a little free labor for some free knowledge. Hang out on these forums, there is a lot of info to be had here.

dun[u:17ztp8rk said:
":17ztp8rk]Cows don;t even understand cows. [/u] About the time you think you have things figured out something will change. The first person that tottally understands them and writes a book will be a milionaire. Just enjoy them, if one gets out or is obvisouly sick let the owner know. Don;t be feeding them anything over the fence without first checking with the owner. Alos, there are some owners that don;t want their cattle to be petted, might check on that too.
aint that the truth, id be afraid if i did start thinking like em.. had a couple wives though that were bull headed :cowboy:

Welcolme Welcome Welcome.

As above said if the fence is not 100% they will go through it. If you are worried about that put an electric fence up around your property and as long as that is working they wont' touch it.

I have been told to never pet a beast on the forehead. They will lower their head for you to scratch, but then you do not see the sign if they are lowering their head to butt you, and you let them get close enough to you because you think they want a scratch.

Remember that it is the quietest one in the herd that can kill the farmer and never go near them with newborns. Keep right away.

Do not feed them anything. 2 rules in the country. Leave a gate the way you found it and do not feed any body else's animals. You give them anything and they die, whether it is because you fed them or not and you will be blamed. This goes for grass clippings from a lawn mower as well. Do not give them to horses it will make them sick. Maybe cattle as well.

Same with carrots and apples do not give to a horse, they can cause choke, which can be fatal and again it is your fault.

Some people do not want their dogs fed or patted as they are in training as guard dogs, not pet dogs.

So just keep the rule that you do not interfere with other peoples animals or gates.

Unless there is cruelty to an animal in which case you do not take it on yourself but call the authorities and yes every farmer would appreciate a phone call if you see something wrong with their cattle or fences. I would love you for that.

Cows are pretty much like people - they like a free lunch. So if you start feeding them, they'll spend much time standing over the fence crying to the point you'll go crazy.

Don't get to liking them too much, as their purpose is to be eaten. I had a neighbor who apparently had been feeding apples to a steer I had. One day I had the butcher come. At some point he was hanging dead from the truck lift and the neighbor looked out her window and saw him. We got a phone call that night from her husband telling us how traumatized she was and how she would never be able to eat meat again.

Guess I should have stamped on his forehead - MEAT.

Lets put it like this....

Cows can be the dumbest things...
and
Cows can outsmart you....

EX... Three feed troughs full of feed- 6 out of the 8 are fighting for one- dumb

...... Transfering cows between pastures- one cow wouldnt go because she knew there was suppose to be a hot wire there, so as shes going across where its suppose to be, her nose is up and before her just to make sure it wasnt there

This is all great advice, thank you. I never thought they'd butt me because they come to the fence/wall land start to moo until I go out and stroke their heads. Different ones want me each time they come along. But now you mention it, you're quite right - I am getting so attached to them that I'll miss them when they go to the slaughter house. Oh well, until then I'll just be careful and try not to become too attached to them; although I'd like to continue seeing the girlies when they have their calfs. :banana:

I would be especially cautious after your neighbor adds his bull....

they are not always very nice, and even if they ARE or SEEM to be, you should never trust a bull, or stallion.

and by the way, WELCOME to the boards! :wave:

Halfy, your description of the cows there in the UK reminds me of the cows I would encounter when I was stationed in Germany. The cattle were more like pets than "beasts of burden". I would watch the cattleman/woman simply walk these cows from pasture to pasture with nothing more than a long stick and I never once saw them have to use it. Once while in the Normandy region of France I watched a little whisp of a woman drive three large and I mean LARGE milk cows across the street like they were her children. I think the Europeans have a bit of a different relationship with their animals than we do here. One reason they may be bawling so much is they have just been weaned from their calves or they are lonesome, cattle are social animals, even with humans. Thanks for taking me back to my time in Europe it was wonderful. And welcome to the board, the folks here are top notch.

Welcome to the forum Halfy, can't really add anything to the advice aleady given, but most farmers in the UK are keen to educate non farming people, your neighbour may well be pleased to have you help with the cattle in a limited way, to gain some experience and understanding of his herd.

Thanks again for your advice - and I thought I'd give you a bit of an update.

On Saturday night my son noticed the smallest one limping, but as he had already laid down to rest for the night (the cow that is) then I waited until Sunday morning to pay him some attention, and sure enough he was limping, then he laid down and the others went over to him and started to lick him. I was dashing out so I had another look on Sunday night and it seemed to be getting worse, but it was 10pm by then and I felt it too late to call the farmer. Yesterday afternoon we noticed the farmer was in his tractor cutting grass in the next field so I went out to ask him if he'd noticed his limping cow, which by now was giving me palpatations as I don't like anyone or any animal to suffer. He watched it for a bit then told me that as it was one of his front legs it looked like it had been caused by the uneven ground and didn't look like anything to worry about!!! Not wanting to tell him his job I left - he seemed such a lovely farmer, but I still want that cow looking at properly.

What do you all think - is this normal? Will it heal? Last week this little bull (lopped as he is) was the most frisky of them all ;-) Now he's hobbling around and I'm wondering whether he could have something stuck in his hoof.

I have another question: these "lopped" bulls seem rather frisky and don't seem to care whether they approach a girlie cow or a fellow bull :eek: Is this normal?

Yes JRC we often find cattle being walked between A to B here in the UK, especially along country lanes; and we don't think of cattle being "beasts of burden". Over here beasts of burden are asses/donkeys. Where is it you live now? Do you own cattle yourself? I think cows are absolutely amazing and soooo cute - heaven help me when they disappear to the slaughter house.

Another question - sorry about this folks but I did warn you that I had loads of questions: So, little bulls are reared for a couple of years before being sold as meat. The girls are used for breeding, then supplying milk; but do they also get sold as meat one day, and if so at what age?

Heifers are supposed to be more tender to eat than steers. Bulls are usually castrated to be steers, as easier to keep and fatten up losing the bullish look.

Over here we have a thing called 3 day sickness. We 'blood' them against ticks, so that means if a cow goes down that it can get up. If tick fever they will go down and not get up. 3 day sickness can just look like a lame beast. Or it could have been kicked by another calf or could have mud and sticks in its hoof. It could be anything.

Suzie Q":38fkd7tl said:
Heifers are supposed to be more tender to eat than steers. Bulls are usually castrated to be steers, as easier to keep and fatten up losing the bullish look.

Over here we have a thing called 3 day sickness. We 'blood' them against ticks, so that means if a cow goes down that it can get up. If tick fever they will go down and not get up. 3 day sickness can just look like a lame beast. Or it could have been kicked by another calf or could have mud and sticks in its hoof. It could be anything.

Thanks Suzie I never knew any of this - so if he's still hobbling tomorrow then it may be something in his hoof, but hopefully he could be OK again :D

Latest posts