Trying something new

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
As most of y'all know the boss and I are stepping back a bit, and Jacob is taking the reins of our operation. We are blessed that we have someone to step in and continue the genetics we have invested so many years developing. He is planning an open house bull sale on January 4th. The way he described it to me is we have a base price on each bull and pen them based on the price. No bulls will be sold prior to January 4th so all of our customers have an opportunity to view all bulls we have available with exception of the ones we're using. I think it is a neat idea we plan to provide a meal and I plan to visit! If any of my CT friends have the time consider this as your invitation to join us for this first annual event. Jacob says he doesn't expect to sell all the bulls on the 4th but wants to give this a shot. Have any of you folks ever attended a sale like this if so pros cons.

Gizmom

Reasoned experimentation is what keeps anything interesting. Having the courage to try new things around the edges, to see what really works as market evolve, is a prerequisite to staying in business for the long term.

Good for all of you!

gizmom said:
As most of y'all know the boss and I are stepping back a bit, and Jacob is taking the reins of our operation. We are blessed that we have someone to step in and continue the genetics we have invested so many years developing. He is planning an open house bull sale on January 4th. The way he described it to me is we have a base price on each bull and pen them based on the price. No bulls will be sold prior to January 4th so all of our customers have an opportunity to view all bulls we have available with exception of the ones we're using. I think it is a neat idea we plan to provide a meal and I plan to visit! If any of my CT friends have the time consider this as your invitation to join us for this first annual event. Jacob says he doesn't expect to sell all the bulls on the 4th but wants to give this a shot. Have any of you folks ever attended a sale like this if so pros cons.

Gizmom
You'll get a lot of gawkers and freeloaders,like me ....but it gets things rolling ...Randy Owen used to have a sale like that at the end of the year..packed the place out..

I hope we have a full house even if we don't sell the first bull, it will be a good time to visit with old customers and hopefully make new ones. Randy Owen is a class act with excellent cattle, and to top it off the guy can sing. I won't be singing and you would thank me for that had you ever heard me try.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
I hope we have a full house even if we don't sell the first bull, it will be a good time to visit with old customers and hopefully make new ones. Randy Owen is a class act with excellent cattle, and to top it off the guy can sing. I won't be singing and you would thank me for that had you ever heard me try.

Gizmom
Sure miss the Brunswick stew..

gizmom said:
wbv

I had never heard of a helmsman auction but googled it and it sounds just like what he was explaining to me. I can see it working well for both buyer and seller.

Gizmom
The good thing about a helmsman auction is if a bull goes past a buyers limit they can go back to their 2nd or 3rd choice whereas with a real time auction there is no going back. A buyer may pass on some good bulls waiting for their pick and if they miss out then it is a bit of a scramble then to get something. I think it is important though to value your bulls and they each may have a different upset price.

Ken

Although I had never heard it called a Helmsman auction I have seen this type of auction online, I just didn't know what it was called. I like the concept like wbv said it is more relaxed and as a buyer you have more options. I am getting a bit excited about it the closer it gets. We pulled the bulls up this morning to pour them, the flys are wicked this year and dang top to bottom the best set of bulls we have ever raised. I think I will have to have a pot of Gumbo I use to make it at the fair for everyone in the show barn the night after the steer auction, it was a hit for sure. The pressure of both the show and auction was off and everyone was just chilling out and enjoying the friendships you make showing cattle. I would cook up two big pots of Gumbo with big bowls of rice and french bread and we had ourselves a good time. I sue hope yall put it on your calendars we will have us a CT get together!

Gizmom