Truck Spray RIG

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have always wanted to have a truck spray rig to spray all my 24-d and liquid nitrogen on my pastures does anyone have one? I bought a 300 gallon spray tank and now im looking for a lil ranger 4x4 to mount the tank in the bed and use square tubing metal pipes to run the hose on and attach nozzles I want it to be 18' wide with all arms open. I plan on using an electric pump that maybe can do atleast 2 gpm but id prefer 3 gpm I have a big sprayer that I use for row crops then just a lil 50 gallon boom sprayer that goes behind the tractor. Does that I am talking about make sense ?

I have a 2 gpm and a 4 gpm elec pump and I don't think you'll be happy with using a 2gpm on a 18' multi nozzle boom. Mine barely runs the boomless nozzle I use on the 25 gal 4 wheeler sprayer.

A gas powered generator pump would give you the output and pressure you need and they are economical. a couple of elec switches and cut offs and returns and your spraying.

Well it ain't working for long. 300gal x 8lbs. in a ranger is not going to work. Delavan makes a 12 volt pump that pumps 7 gal. per min. at around 35psi, and it will pump up to 100psi but the flow rate goes way down.

Simple solution:
Just because the tank will hold 300 gallons doesn't mean he has to fill it all the way up. Mine is a 300 gal tote--I put 200 gal in it and that's about the limit I want on my home built trailer.

Yea, I would only put what I think the truck can hold in it. So I gather the minimum pump I should use is 4gpm ?

skyhightree1":cnbq9kyf said:
Yea, I would only put what I think the truck can hold in it. So I gather the minimum pump I should use is 4gpm ?

I don't think you will be happy with that, the small gas engine and pump will do a much better job.

Cabo":3rcqlji3 said:
skyhightree1":3rcqlji3 said:

I don't think you will be happy with that, the small gas engine and pump will do a much better job.

can someone suggest a good gas powered pump ?

skyhightree1":f4g04w2f said:
I have always wanted to have a truck spray rig to spray all my 24-d and liquid nitrogen on my pastures does anyone have one? I bought a 300 gallon spray tank and now im looking for a lil ranger 4x4 to mount the tank in the bed and use square tubing metal pipes to run the hose on and attach nozzles I want it to be 18' wide with all arms open. I plan on using an electric pump that maybe can do atleast 2 gpm but id prefer 3 gpm I have a big sprayer that I use for row crops then just a lil 50 gallon boom sprayer that goes behind the tractor. Does that I am talking about make sense ?

I've got a very small (25 gallon) rig like you're describing that I put on the back of my Mule. Don't know about 300 gallons tho. That's 2500 lbs.

skyhightree1":37rzvtfv said:
Cabo":37rzvtfv said:
skyhightree1":37rzvtfv said:

can someone suggest a good gas powered pump ?

This is not gas but will do 7 gpm(if I remember right)
http://just12voltpumps.com/category/289 ... o-4001.htm

Gas engines turn too fast for roller pumps unless you have a gear reduction or pulley/belt drive to slow it down.

Thanks texas and cross I will definately look at that pump cross makes sense about gas I was wondering about how much pressure it would put in the lines and if would maybe bust lines out.

skyhightree1":1wg5zeu7 said:
Thanks texas and cross I will definately look at that pump cross makes sense about gas I was wondering about how much pressure it would put in the lines and if would maybe bust lines out.

Pressure regulator and bypass wil take care of the pressure

Gotcha, I have never really built anything like that before so you all are teaching me the way. I wonder now if it would be easier to buy something already set up with all that and just fine tune it to how I want it. If its not built with wood or I can't weld it generally I leave it alone lol

Flojet makes a 3.5-5 gpm 12 volt pump #4300-504 but I would worry about it being big enough for an 18' boom not to mention I'd worry about drift on that many nozzles and only 3.5 gpm
Might work though with air induction nozzles or drift guard nozzles

cross_7":298mstpy said:
skyhightree1":298mstpy said:
if I narrowed the boom down to 12feet do you think that would work with a 3.5-5 gpm?

Depends on the number of nozzles and gallons per acre
And the orifice size in each nozzle.

That is an excellent pdf article!! Saved.
Thanks.