Troubles with a pressure cooker. What did I do wrong?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
We tried canning some green beans and the results are not right. The lids have dents in them and there not sealed. What did we do wrong? Thanks, Vince

Could have been too hot. 10 psi is what you need. You might not have had your head space correct. Need 1". Might have also released the pressure once the time was up rather than letting it cool on its on and let the pressure go down gradually. Any of these could cause the problems you had.

Thanks Jogeephus, to hot was our problem. I needed help with some cows and when we got back the pressure regulator was about to jump ship. Is there anything I can do to reseal them?

I know a lot of my canning friends have problems with the walmart brand lids, mainstay...The walmart canning jars are ok, but not the lids. You can reprocess your greenbeans, but they might get too squishy..

With caved lids, it does sound like too much pressure.
I've always canned at higher altitudes, so never had that problem, but I can see it happening at lower elevations.
They could be reprocessed, but you wouldn't like the results. There are some recipes for pureed green beans, that would be all I could think of to salvage them. (assuming they've been refrigerated since the canning failure). They could then be reprocessed or frozen.

Latest posts