Trouble Walking Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
County fair is in 2 weeks and my steer has just decided to quit walking. About a week ago, I started walking him with his head up and setting him up and all that, but now he won't walk at all. I've tried having someone walk behind him to encourage him to go forward but he just balks to the side. I'm using a rope halter on him right now. Should I just keep trying to work with him or what?

-Angus Girl

Angus Cattle Girl":2h9isusj said:
County fair is in 2 weeks and my steer has just decided to quit walking. About a week ago, I started walking him with his head up and setting him up and all that, but now he won't walk at all. I've tried having someone walk behind him to encourage him to go forward but he just balks to the side. I'm using a rope halter on him right now. Should I just keep trying to work with him or what?

-Angus Girl

1. you should of been training him the day yo got him to walk with his head up.
2. get a big piece of rope tie it on the opposite side you are walking him wrap it around his but and walk him with someone holding the other piece pull, the rope, he should start forward
3. if that doesnt work try this.
get a car, atv, tractor or something strong, have someone driving, tie him to the car and start slowly, you need to be walking beside him, and an extra person just in case something goes wrong. be careful doing this your steer can be injured. dont be driving so fast that the steer has to run, or to slow where the steer can head butt you car, just right at his walking speed. he will drag his feet not wanting to walk but after awhile he'll go.
4. if that doesnt work then buy a all chain halter, that will get him walking.

Get a chain halter and see how that goes. Sometimes they wont walk at home but as soon as yu get to fair or a show they will walk becuase it is somewhere new.

my steer was like that dont worry about changing your halter keep the rope halter but walk him in a different area take him outside the pen let him see that your not just going to keep him in the same circle it worked great for my steer

my heifer pulled that bone head stunt last year.... i always walked her in the pasture up to that point. Finally i gave up trying to walk her out there and tried her in the yard, she walked fine and set up like she had been doing it forever. I guess she just needed a change of scenery.

keep her one the rope halter. my angus steer started doing that 2 days before fair and at fair he walked great

Latest posts