Triple Vaccinated ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
You see a few groups of calves go through the ring that are advertised as triple vaccinated. :banana: What benefit, if any, should you expect over a double vaccinate calf?

Might be a bad thing, some vaccinations call for a follow up and booster but not all. It's best if your going to vaccinate, to follow the guidelines set forth by the manufacturer.

It may not mean what you think. You are thinking it means an initial primary vaccination followed by two boosters.

Tripled vaccinated may mean that the calves are covered for three groups of pathogens.

In humans, they often refer to triple vaccine as DPT, a class of combination vaccines against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and tetanus. That is only an example.

Could be calves vaccinated in the spring at branding then getting two rounds in the fall in a preconditioning program.

Stocker Steve":2k0vo4rn said:
Simple country folk here.
Triple vaccination is 3 doses of respiratory.
Is there a health benefit, or is it just over management?

It would provide a higher level of immunity but it would not be necessary. Most drugs are tested to achieve an acceptable level of immunity if you follow the instructions. Thus, not worth my effort.

Maximum level of immunity can be achieved with 2 shots, so I would not expect 3rd to give a higher level.
What I would expect is MAYBE you'd be picking up the 1 out of 10 calves that somehow didn't achieve maximum
level (for whatever reason) with 2 shots, for a slightly higher overall group immunity level.

I wouldn't go out of my way to to it, but a couple might get a 3rd if I was looking to use up extra vaccine
i.e. 9 calves to do and 10 dose bottle then I'd catch a 10th animal... (perhaps my youngest feeder steer)

Some sale barns have codes so the buyers know what the cattle have had without listing everything they have been given every time cattle enter the ring. Triple vac may be one of their codes.

Efficacy of proper vaccinations are about 85% according to literature. So, on the average, 15% are not well protected or fully protected. Extra dose is an effort to help the 15%. Who can stand behind calves with 15% pulls or death? A reason for everything.

Basically, my calves are triple vacc. also. I hit them w/ BS5L5HB at 3 months & at 4 months. Then I wean in fall when they are 6-8 months. And they get hit about 1 month after weaning. My feedlot guy LOVES my cattle. Has said many times, he wishes other producers would do the same.
I know I don't need to give the BS 30 days apart because it is a MLV, but the BRSV needs to be boostered, soooo, if I'm giving a shot for that, it is worth the extra $ to make better sure I have 100% coverage on everything. MLV are not that expensive - especially if you compare to antibiotics/time.

Latest posts