Tribute to my Dad

Help Support CattleToday:

i am sorry for your loss, i lost my dad 2 years ago, but it dont seem that long ago to me. when i was younger we had our clashes like all parents and teenagers do, but as i got older we became really close more like best of friends. we would work on the barn and fences and doctoring a calf or what ever. and i knew that even as sick as he got before he passed away, he enjoyed everything that we did together, cuz if we were the at the farm he would be there in a minute too, or call us to say he was going over to it, he loved that place i can remember telling my self i would never do the things that he did, ya know the narrow minded adult stuff back when i was younger, but i sure find my self doing the same things he said and did, i catch myself doing or saying them now and get tickled at myself, or my husband will say you act just like your daddy, which i take as a complement. when i am down back in the pasture working i still look up and look to the barn to see if his truck has pulled up, i know it wont never pull up again, but old habits die hard.
its true you better call or visit with em all ya can, cuz even as much as ya love em, and want to keep em with ya forever, God loves em more, and one day it will be time for them to go home to Him.

Crowder, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers and I hope ya'll get through this alright.

You folks are all great. I felt like I could share something personal here on the boards. Your words do help. Your kind thoughts are really appreciated. I just want to thank each and every one of you. Even though we dont know each other (Some of us do) we have a sort of bond here. We may just be in front of a screen, but I think its great we can all be on here and share knowledge and thoughts with one another. Not always about Cattle and Farming. From our whole Family I want to say a big Thank You. I wish dad had been into Computers, he would have had a ball here. I hope I can carry on his Legacy, they are big boots to fill. I wish you had known him. You would have Loved him, and he would have shown you he felt the same. Thanks. P.C.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Crowder. Your tribute to your father was well said, and the words of advice about appreciating your parents while they're still with us, are words we all need to be reminded of from time to time. Same advice applies to spouse, children, grand children, etc. It's easy to take relationships for granted until they are gone.

Some of the post remind me of something I heard once about kids.

2 year old thinks Dads know everthing
6 year old thinks Dads know pretty much everthing.
12 year old thinks Dad knows most everthing except things about their generation.
16 year olds think Dads don't know anything about anything.
20 year olds think maybe Dad does know a little about a few things.
30 years olds think Dad does know quite a bit.
40 years olds realize Dad really does know a lot about everthing.
50 year olds wish Dad was still here, because they realize he did know everthing about everthing.

A lot of truth in that.

Bama":dt2iog3e said:
Some of the post remind me of something I heard once about kids.

2 year old thinks Dads know everthing
6 year old thinks Dads know pretty much everthing.
12 year old thinks Dad knows most everthing except things about their generation.
16 year olds think Dads don't know anything about anything.
20 year olds think maybe Dad does know a little about a few things.
30 years olds think Dad does know quite a bit.
40 years olds realize Dad really does know a lot about everthing.
50 year olds wish Dad was still here, because they realize he did know everthing about everthing.

A lot of truth in that.

Yes, there is. My Dad is under strict orders that he is never allowed to die. I don't think it will do any good, but one can dream.

I lost my Dad a couple of years back. I still look out across the pastures and remember him walking the fencerows with a axe. When my parents bought this place it was in timber. Dad cleared it off and made something of it. Each time I go out with a chainsaw or spray the pastures I think about all the work he did to make it what it is today.

Like Crowder I think we need to live today like tomorrow may not come. Yesterday was a treasure, today is a gift but tomorrow is only a wish.

Bama":30oc4d4u said:
I lost my Dad a couple of years back. I still look out across the pastures and remember him walking the fencerows with a axe. When my parents bought this place it was in timber. Dad cleared it off and made something of it. Each time I go out with a chainsaw or spray the pastures I think about all the work he did to make it what it is today.

Like Crowder I think we need to live today like tomorrow may not come. Yesterday was a treasure, today is a gift but tomorrow is only a wish.

I'm sorry, Bama. I dread the day that Dad passes on, but I know it's coming. He has given me so much, and asked so little in return. "Yesterday was a treasure, today is a gift but tomorrow is only a wish." Truer words were never spoken (or typed as the case may be).

I could say many of the same things others have said. We lost dad after a short battle with cancer nine years ago on this very day. He had bought a homegrown heifer from our oldest son's 4-H efforts right before he got sick. When we found out he had cancer and it was too far progressed for them to do anything, he gave the heifer back to our son to take care of for him. She is our boss cow today and one of our best producers - one that will spend her last day here! Wouldn't take anything for the memories we have, only wish there were more! You surely have our sympathy and our prayers are with your family.

Crowder, wonderful tribute! Your Dad sounds like the person we all hope we are and fall short of being, men like him live on and continue to teach us. Our prayers are with you and your family!
From Dad & Mom at the Ranch!

Crowder,

Sorry for your loss. They don't make 'em like you described your dad anymore. From experience I can say the pain of the loss will never go away but will be lessened by the sweet memories you carry of him.

Crowder,

Sorry for your lost. you are in our Prayers.

I've been off the computer for a few days. Sorry to hear of your loss. Been there 5 years ago. Time helps for sure, but thoughts of the goodtimes get you through.

Crowder,
When you're talking about Dad, it ain't bragging. Never stop.
Bret

Crowder, I don't know how I missed this post but I did. I am truely sorry to hear of your loss. Your Dad sounds like he was a great person and Dad. I know words don't help in times like these but in time your memories of him will bring smiles back to your face.

I didn't write this, but I think it says a lot about many of Dad's.

The feeling which my father could not put into words was in his hand--any dog, child or horse would recognize the kindness of it.

Once again, I want to say Thanks to ALL of you. The response you all brought forth was amazing. And, I have to say comforting and Heartfelt. I hope if anyone on here has a Fence to mend with either a Mom or Dad, set those differences aside and do it. My dad and I never had an argument, we had disagreements, but that's normal.Once they're gone they're gone. Cherish the time given. The years fly by. Make every moment Count. God Bless You All.

Crowder, That was wonderful, the things you wrote about your father. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family in this very difficult time. Also, my thoughts to each of you who have lost someone special and Crowder, thanks for the reminder of how precious the special people in each of our lives are and how thankful we should be for them and toward them. God Bless and comfort each of you.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we call it the present"-------in a song that is sung by Daniel O'Donnell

Latest posts