• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tri axle trailer vs dual

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I can get a dual axle 2006 model 24' cow trailer, or a tri axle 28' cow trailer it's a 2014 model. Only $1500 difference. I'm leaning to the 28'. Never had a tri axle. Any down side to the extra axle, other than 2 more tires to keep in service? I have "heard" the extra axle draws more attention from the DOT.

RanchMan90

Reaction score
Bigger newer trailer sounds like a better bargain to me. My 28" triple axle has been good to me. Just don't turn it too sharp loaded heavy or could pull a back tire off the rim :2cents:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
The rear tire take a beating and wear quick if a lot of turning is done. just make sure the axle ratings are what your looking for . 2 7500# axles are better than 3 4500#

skyhightree1

Reaction score
M-5":ud2oe4wx said:
The rear tire take a beating and wear quick if a lot of turning is done. just make sure the axle ratings are what your looking for . 2 7500# axles are better than 3 4500#

I agree. I like going to auctions where they have 3 axle trailers and buy them cheap and take one axle off.

OP
Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Reaction score
We're down now to $1000 difference. I guess I'll get the 28'.

OP
Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Reaction score
True Grit Farms":1ytr4u74 said:
Bigfoot needs a big trailer to pull behind that big truck.

You caught me. My other one looks like a bear riding a tricycle.

OP
Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Bought on Thursday, and sold on Saturday. Didn't even get a picture of it. Solda little bumper pull today as well. You gotta love horse people at tax refund time.

saltbranch

Reaction score
I owned 1, 40' flatbed 3 axle and sold it with in a year. I hated it, tight turns are hard on the suspension and pulling tires off the rims in a tight turn. If you have a flat, you cant "limp" it in to town. Just way to many suspension parts to upkeep compared to a dual tandem. More brakes to keep legal, bearings to keep greased, springs and hangers to keep up to working order
Personally I buy twin axle tandems or single tire, depending application. You can get tandems up to 15k each axle capacity if you need the capacity....that more than likely would be a special order though.
My 3 penny's

Latest posts