Trespassing

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have about 4 miles of road on our property and I don't keep all the gates closed because it's a pain in the butt to make my wifešŸ˜ get out and open them.
Many years ago we put up no trespassing signs and it seemed to help a little bit..... but since covid everybody wants to come to the mountains and buy property so we got a lot of people that are just driving around.
I've scared a few of them and I kind of sort of have a reputation in town of the crazy guy out by the creek, but I'm okay with that.

Where I grew up in Southern Illinois you just did not trespass.

Have people just lost respect for no trespassing sign ?

Here's my latest sign !

IMG_20230210_085840756_HDR.jpg

Me personally I am a fan of " Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again." Or the one I wanted made for my old place with the long driveway " Beyond this gate you can't be seen from the road and your body will not be found".

The best thing against trespassing is prosecuting a couple. Word gets around fast to that crowd.
Texas has great trespassing laws. I got with the local GW and with a couple SPYPOINT cameras he lit them up.
I haven't had problems with my property down the road in a couple years now.
I still have the cameras up.
Academy has Moultrie cellular cameras on sell right now for 60 bucks.
You can't outrun that cellular picture that's time stamped.

We have about 4 miles of road on our property and I don't keep all the gates closed because it's a pain in the butt to make my wifešŸ˜ get out and open them.
Many years ago we put up no trespassing signs and it seemed to help a little bit..... but since covid everybody wants to come to the mountains and buy property so we got a lot of people that are just driving around.
I've scared a few of them and I kind of sort of have a reputation in town of the crazy guy out by the creek, but I'm okay with that.

Where I grew up in Southern Illinois you just did not trespass.

Have people just lost respect for no trespassing sign ?

Here's my latest sign !

View attachment 26225
Home made spike strip. Get a piece of conveyor belt, a strip of carpet...anything will do... and use nails to make it. Then bury it in the leaves at the gate. If you have to go through that gate, just drag it off to the side and fix it back when you leave. If they are going in and out of an entrance you don;t use, or can not use for a while, felt washers in the tracks work even better.

I assume that's only a problem if you actually shoot someone for nothing more than trespassing?
I assume it helps their case in establishing owner was a potentially dangerous person no matter what happens or why.
Odds are there will be non-property owning millennials on a jury.

Last edited:
When I bought the ranch in Arkansas the guy next door visited soon after. He was an old gunner's mate, retired from the Navy and pretty crusty. Apparently I passed muster because before he left he leaned over to me and said softly, "If you ever have any trouble over here there are plenty of places on my place to hide a body."

The best thing against trespassing is prosecuting a couple. Word gets around fast to that crowd.
Texas has great trespassing laws. I got with the local GW and with a couple SPYPOINT cameras he lit them up.
I haven't had problems with my property down the road in a couple years now.
I still have the cameras up.
Academy has Moultrie cellular cameras on sell right now for 60 bucks.
You can't outrun that cellular picture that's time stamped.
What is Moultrie cell plan like. I have 3 Bushnells that I'm really happy with. The 15.00 per month per camera equals 45.00 per month. While it's worth every penny I wouldn't mind doing better.

We have quite a bit of road frontage too along a state highway, people are always throwing trash out their vehicles in the ditch lines and a lot of times over the fence.
We have a circle drive with two entrances off of the highway where we live and then another entrance and road that's a right of way to somebody else's property on down and around a curve so it isn't visible from where we live. Then at another small farm we have across the road we have two gates, on off the state road and one off the old county road that's no longer maintained.
We now have locks on all entrance gates.
We ave found on 3 different occasions 2 different locations where people have tried to ram through the gates and tore the gates up.
It's a mess we are constantly having to watch the area across the road and the driveways by the road where we live. Lots of suspicious activity. Vehicles pulling off the road. All hours of day and night.
Seems like when they see me and or the dogs they leave. I've been out in yard with the dogs several times and see vehicles start to pull in the drive then it's as if they decide abruptly to not come on in and then whip back out and continue the same direction.
There is now quite a few transient people around, have found where we suspect people have stayed overnight in a barn across the road.

We have quite a bit of road frontage too along a state highway, people are always throwing trash out their vehicles in the ditch lines and a lot of times over the fence.
We have a circle drive with two entrances off of the highway where we live and then another entrance and road that's a right of way to somebody else's property on down and around a curve so it isn't visible from where we live. Then at another small farm we have across the road we have two gates, on off the state road and one off the old county road that's no longer maintained.
We now have locks on all entrance gates.
We ave found on 3 different occasions 2 different locations where people have tried to ram through the gates and tore the gates up.
It's a mess we are constantly having to watch the area across the road and the driveways by the road where we live. Lots of suspicious activity. Vehicles pulling off the road. All hours of day and night.
Seems like when they see me and or the dogs they leave. I've been out in yard with the dogs several times and see vehicles start to pull in the drive then it's as if they decide abruptly to not come on in and then whip back out and continue the same direction.
There is now quite a few transient people around, have found where we suspect people have stayed overnight in a barn across the road.
Dogs help a lot. Just don't put "Beware of the dog" anywhere on your property; home and vehicle because you can be sued for harboring a vicious animal. Don't ask me how I know.

Dogs help a lot. Just don't put "Beware of the dog" anywhere on your property; home and vehicle because you can be sued for harboring a vicious animal. Don't ask me how I know.
I was always told that to be liable for your dog injuring someone you have to be aware that the dog has a propensity to bite so putting up a sign like beware of the dog or dangerous dog you are admitting that you are aware of the dog having a propensity to bite.

Ken

We used to have a lot of people trespassing, primarily to fish the watershed or hunt, when we first bought the ranch & initially after we moved in permanently 2 years later. But now it's relatively rare. I'm assuming because we've established ourselves, have great neighbors (anyone within a 5-mile radius qualifies) and we're extremely fortunate the pumpers from the various oil wells are conscientious and considerate. They'll call or text if they see something/someone that doesn't "belong" or even if we have a calf out, cow is off, etc. Plus, I'm friends with a lot of the local law enforcement.

Signs don't do squat because reading is fundamental. And the majority of people that trespass either can't read or believe it doesn't apply to them. Locking gates helps. Except when it doesn't, and you end up spending quality time and money on repairs. Establishing a relationship with neighbors and the Sheriff or police is your best first line of defense.

Family has farm ponds . Everyone thinks if you have a pond it's ok to fish in it . We are 10 miles from Lake Guntersville, part of the Tennessee river and one of the top bass lakes in the US . But folks would rather sneak into the ponds . Over , under and through the fences . I keep all outside gates locked for all it's worth.

Latest posts