tree stand placement

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
This will be my first bow season to set up. I've got 2 tree stands and 3 options. #1 ) 40 yd circular clearing in the midst of hardwoods (pecan/oak) that span a gap from a river bottom to my fields. #2) Edge of my pasture but along a 150 yd hedgerow that deer use to get between woods and water. #3) next to a huge (?white) oak tree that dropped a ton of acorns last year--so many deer tracks I though initially pigs had torn up the grass under it. Rain's been good this year again and budding acorns look good again this season. Thoughts?

For starters down wind from where you think the deer are going to approach from is a must. And if at all possible keep the sun at your back. And the next thing is accessibility, you need to be able to get to and preferably leave without the deer knowing you were ever there.

Everything grit says. Also make sure you are set up several feet back in the brush. And in a way that you can draw and shoot with minimal movement. I always set up for shots inside 25 yards. I haven't bow hunted in 15 years and equipment has certainly improved in that time

True Grit Farms":3ckxbxhn said:
For starters down wind from where you think the deer are going to approach from is a must. And if at all possible keep the sun at your back. And the next thing is accessibility, you need to be able to get to and preferably leave without the deer knowing you were ever there.

I will add wear rubber boots in and out and it doesn't hurt to step in a pile of cow shyt either if your hunting where livestock roams.
Don't worry about the long shots get concealed and covered up and get at least 12 feet off the ground I prefer 15.

Caustic Burno":jna9oz7f said:
True Grit Farms":jna9oz7f said:

I will add wear rubber boots in and out and it doesn't hurt to step in a pile of cow shyt either if your hunting where livestock roams.
Don't worry about the long shots get concealed and covered up and get at least 12 feet off the ground I prefer 15.

Cb in the hill country cedar berries make great cover scent. Get a pocket full and ever little bit mash a few and drop em at your feet. Stronger and more pleasant than cowshyt

pdubdo":2l0xtrh9 said:
This will be my first bow season to set up. I've got 2 tree stands and 3 options. #1 ) 40 yd circular clearing in the midst of hardwoods (pecan/oak) that span a gap from a river bottom to my fields. #2) Edge of my pasture but along a 150 yd hedgerow that deer use to get between woods and water. #3) next to a huge (?white) oak tree that dropped a ton of acorns last year--so many deer tracks I though initially pigs had torn up the grass under it. Rain's been good this year again and budding acorns look good again this season. Thoughts?

Definitely the 2 with most active tracks nearby. I am an advocate of easy in and easy out as well, without disturbing much. The wind changes so much here that I try to set up stands in different areas so I can 'play the wind' as needed. The oak tree sounds like a must.

FYI White oaks have rounded lobes on the leaves and Red oaks have pointed lobes.

Not sure where you are located. In my area, I prefer to hunt thick cover in the mornings and food sources in the evening during early season. During the pre-rut I want to be somewhere that I can see as much as possible. I use as much natural cover scent as possible and I also use Evercalm at times. I prefer to not use many urine scents as I personally feel the best way to kill a mature buck is to never let him know anything is different. However if you're hunting meat, a lot of different scents will attract does and smaller bucks because of their natural curiosity. One of the best being vanilla extract. Happy hunting.

JMJ Farms said:
Not sure where you are located. In my area, I prefer to hunt thick cover in the mornings and food sources in the evening during early season. During the pre-rut I want to be somewhere that I can see as much as possible. I use as much natural cover scent as possible and I also use Evercalm at times. I prefer to not use many urine scents as I personally feel the best way to kill a mature buck is to never let him know anything is different. However if you're huntin
g meat, a lot of different scents will attract does and smaller bucks because
of their natural curiosity. One of the best being vanilla extract. Happy
hunting.[/quote
I'd enjoy hunting with you. :)

Kingfisher":3uzbbso9 said:
JMJ Farms":3uzbbso9 said:
Not sure where you are located. In my area, I prefer to hunt thick cover in the mornings and food sources in the evening during early season. During the pre-rut I want to be somewhere that I can see as much as possible. I use as much natural cover scent as possible and I also use Evercalm at times. I prefer to not use many urine scents as I personally feel the best way to kill a mature buck is to never let him know anything is different. However if you're hunting meat, a lot of different scents will attract does and smaller bucks because of their natural curiosity. One of the best being vanilla extract. Happy
hunting.
I'd enjoy hunting with you. :)

You're welcome anytime Kingfisher. :tiphat:

Kingfisher":21sh76w3 said:
City Guy":21sh76w3 said:
FYI White oaks have rounded lobes on the leaves and Red oaks have pointed lobes.
FYI. Deer don't like white oak acorns.

I would say deer prefer white oak. A big post oak tree dropping acorns will get more traffic than a corn feeder. A Spanish oak the acorns may rot if there's plenty of other feed .
I don't care much for bottled scents either . kinda like most fishing lures. More about catching people's money than anything else.

If it weren't for the white oaks here, deer would starve before the first hard freeze. Squirrels too.
The oaks (all varieties) this year don't look to be as heavy with acorns as past years. Been a wet year except July and 1st week of Sept. In bad drought years tho there are lots more acorns--I had never seen as many acorns before or since as I did in 2011. A TAMU biologist explained it as nature's way of one last gasp at reproduction, and sure enough, within the next 2 years, lots of those old white oaks around here were dead, but thousands of little ones sprouting up everywhere.

Kingfisher":j22iweje said:
City Guy":j22iweje said:
FYI. Deer don't like white oak acorns.
Whoops got it backwards...I do that sometimes...;)
Deer much prefer white oak acorns over red oak acorns. The reason is simple. It's the tannin content. White oak acorns have much less tannin than red oak acorns, and tannin is the bitter stuff."

I would use a lot of the advice already given, but would ensure this -- with two stands, I would set them up to take advantage of the travel routes, as suggested; without the chance of my scent being wind blown over the route. What I mean is this, set them up to hunt the two most prevailing wind directions. That way, you will most likely be able to hunt at least one of them, no matter the wind direction, when you get a chance. And, if that happens to mean you have two stands hunting one area, so be it. At least you can always hunt one of them. Having the wind in your face, and away from the travel corridors, in my experience, is the most important factor.

great advice everyone-thanks! Will be using the cedar berry idea-- lots of those around. Got access to a small pop-up blind so I'll set up all three this week and see what happens come Oct 1.

pdubdo":2iu30ci0 said:
great advice everyone-thanks! Will be using the cedar berry idea-- lots of those around. Got access to a small pop-up blind so I'll set up all three this week and see what happens come Oct 1.

You need to hide the pop up blind with brush and make sure it's been in place for a few weeks. The deer need some time to get use to the smell and site of the blind. I'm not a big fan of a pop up.

Latest posts