Treats?

Help Support CattleToday:

cubes, grain, high quality hay, anything they're not used to getting as a regular part of their diet

I had a heifer that LOVED sunchips...and a different one that would eat cherry tomatoes..I dont know if those are 'recomended' but it didnt seem to hurt mine.

Try a peanut butter sandwich cracker. They love 'em.

We have a bull that I fed them to as a youngster. He comes to the truck each visit just to see if I might have another.

I used those flaky sandwich sugar cookies with the creamy stuff inside to train oxen. Comes in handy since all 3 of us could eat out of the same package.

dun

My bull will get up and walk to you as long as he can hear you for a hot dog bun, carrots or zuccini. He even knows his name :oops: (kinda strange) but he came this way. I have to admit it sure makes him easy to load or handle. :p

dun":tv98oamf said:
I used those flaky sandwich sugar cookies with the creamy stuff inside to train oxen. Comes in handy since all 3 of us could eat out of the same package.

dun

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We just use cake pellets. The wife has the whole herd eating out of our hand. Makes them easy to move, too. Bag of cake on the four wheeler and they'll follow her for miles.

We use Apple & Oat horse treats. We have horses, but the cows seem to get more. My bull will stand forever while I poke them into his mouth! All my cows know their names.

grubbie":3p5fv6vn said:
We just use cake pellets. The wife has the whole herd eating out of our hand. Makes them easy to move, too. Bag of cake on the four wheeler and they'll follow her for miles.
Same here - I can do just about anything with the cows since I started feeding the range cubes.
Until I moved here my dad didn't have time to play with the girls but I enjoy their reaction to a bag or 2 on the tailgate. Hard to imagine that an animal that big can kick up her heels.
Now, instead of having to "trap" the cows to work with them, we just take a bag of cubes into the corral.
They will also come to a horn honk because that is always followed by cubes.

I have one of my places cross fenced. When I feed my cows I drive down to the barn to get the feed and by the time I get to the gate they are waiting for me. They are on 25 acres right now. We had fences on either side of the property go down Friday from all the rains. We had to feed them alot more than usual to keep them from following us as we went to fix the fence. I guess having them trained to come to you can be a negative also. But it wasn't that big a deal to feed them extra.

Walt

I bought a longhorn heifer at 6 mo. old off the range and had her eating out of my hand in two days, loves apple slices and grapes, baby carrots too.

I had a heifer that would circle around your legs and almost trip you until you gave her some of your coffee.Of course the coffee was mostly hazelnut creamer and milk.Her bull calf does the same thing now if he's sees you have a coffee mug in your hand he comes running as fast as fast as his little legs will carry him.They only get a sip though don't want to make them sick.The dam of the heifer loves candy and she would bury her nose in your pocket looking for them almost taking your pants off sometimes. It has scared quite a few people when she does this and they don't know her.She does anything for a Werthers original.

My horse likes rye and coke she was dissapointed when my husband switched from coke to sparkling water. :roll: :lol:

But as far as steers when I am finishing and they go off graind for a while I up the mollasses in it I also mix in brown dugar sometimes.I wonder how many cavities they have when they are finally finished? :p

Got a load of day old bread products from my cousin who works for a bakery company and the cows seemed to like the zingers the best followed by the fried pies. They also love the chocolate cupcakes. Of course I was eating them along with the cows. I bet it would have made for a funny picture.

hillsdown":2byf64lw said:
I had a heifer that would circle around your legs and almost trip you until you gave her some of your coffee.Of course the coffee was mostly hazelnut creamer and milk.Her bull calf does the same thing now if he's sees you have a coffee mug in your hand he comes running as fast as fast as his little legs will carry him.They only get a sip though don't want to make them sick.The dam of the heifer loves candy and she would bury her nose in your pocket looking for them almost taking your pants off sometimes. It has scared quite a few people when she does this and they don't know her.She does anything for a Werthers original.

My horse likes rye and coke she was dissapointed when my husband switched from coke to sparkling water. :roll: :lol:

But as far as steers when I am finishing and they go off graind for a while I up the mollasses in it I also mix in brown dugar sometimes.I wonder how many cavities they have when they are finally finished? :p

My husband had just finished milking out one of our older Murray Grey cows that had freshened one spring so we could replenish our freezer supply. He had used an old lead rope to tie her. She pulled back, broke the lead rope, stuck her head in the full bucket of milk and drank the entire bucket. He was not happy! :shock: