Treating Pinkeye this Morning

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
Pinkeye:  what I did this morning.  That was after I brought all eleven of the fall calvers up to the facility from the back 30.  Amazing how easy they follow my cub cadet when I am pulling a feeder.

Hudson Pine/Rocking P Cow- Price. Her fall calf was a Grandmaster. I posted the calf on here. Weaned at 860. Bull calf.
29mw13l.jpg

20r5nuw.jpg

Injection site. Four locations in flank of shoulder. Two on each side. I put about 13 mL in one of those sites. Put 10 mL in two. Put 15 mL in one. Set to delivery 5 mL at each shot.
rr47r4.jpg

24wzk04.jpg

2r6g0og.jpg

LA 300.  48 mL.  Guessed her weight at about 1600.

2uq1uf7.jpg

Cleaned my syringe.  Only time I use the pistol grip syringe is for large measured doses at multiple injection sites. LA300 can gum up that shaft pin.

300w51t.jpg

Sounds like she's a good momma. Glad you caught it early, and hope that's the only pinkeye you have to deal with.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Yes. I think I got it early. She should be fine. This is my first case since early spring.

Bigfoot":dlrqa66t said:
I believe you caught that case at just the right time.

Bigfoot, you and I had that epidemic a couple years ago. How has your pinkeye cases been running in the last 8 months?

Margonme":2xy9l3em said:
Bigfoot":2xy9l3em said:

Bigfoot, you and I had that epidemic a couple years ago. How has your pinkeye cases been running in the last 8 months?

Zero, but I'm afraid I'll jinx it.

Bigfoot":3iiwwsd8 said:
Margonme":3iiwwsd8 said:
Bigfoot":3iiwwsd8 said:

Do you put faith in the concept of being "jinxed"?

Margonme":3v773v0p said:
Bigfoot":3v773v0p said:
Margonme":3v773v0p said:

Do you put faith in the concept of being "jinxed"?

Ahhhhh you know i don't.

KNERSIE":23uvp70u said:
Looks more like a case that is just about healed than a new infection.

It gave me the same impression. I check them up close and personal. That does not prove I didn't miss it. I have never had one go pink.

RiverHills":1y9edhqk said:
KNERSIE":1y9edhqk said:
Looks more like a case that is just about healed than a new infection.

That's what I was thinking!
It looks like a post pinkeye scar and it looks dry around the eye. BUT I'm sure no vet.

You are correct. There was not much weeping. But there was a tear track that was more distinct than the other eye. Before I brought her up to treat, I noticed some slight squinting. But she was not holding it closed or blinking a lot.

I decided to get some oxytetracycline into her system. It was either the very beginning or the end of a mild case. IDK.

I treated my 5th case this morning. Used LA 300 for the first time, have previously used LA 200. These pinkeye cases have been spread out over the past month or so, I guess I jinxed myself on that cause I had just been thinking that there hadn't been any pinkeye this year. Although for the record I don't really believe in jinxes either.

the farm i work on had probably 8 or so cases about a month ago some were mild one had double rupture but they all healed well (i thought the one was going to be blind but she is fine now) just a shot of la 200 and some spectramast in the eye