Trapping Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

BHB,

You've provided me with a lot of very useful information, never considered deer getting into the traps. I had planned on making a sour mash to use as bait. Will mix the corn with diesel instead.

I still have one question. If the trap springs on several hogs, catching them, and there are others around, will the untrapped hogs be leary of the trap next time it's baited??

JD

jack.diamond":1oy7cnfo said:
BHB,

You've provided me with a lot of very useful information, never considered deer getting into the traps. I had planned on making a sour mash to use as bait. Will mix the corn with diesel instead.

I still have one question. If the trap springs on several hogs, catching them, and there are others around, will the untrapped hogs be leary of the trap next time it's baited??

JD

Yes they will Jack. But, they are leary to begin with. If you can bait your hole close to a fence, that helps. Then you can slip your trap in adjacent to a fence. Keep baiting that hole after you move the trap to another locale. You can slip an old cattle panel or two in there aroudn the hole and they get accustom to it. Then move the panels out when you move your trap in.

You will indeed catch a lot of deer if you don't use diesel. I have caught 5 now even with diesel on the corn. This is the very reason I use guilotine gates. It makes it very easy to release the deer. I have also trapped calves. One of my heifer calves has been trapped three times. Open top traps let the deer jump out but it also lets the hogs jump out. It is kind of a catch 22. Check your traps often and the deer will not be harmed. They do go nuts in the trap when you come up on them. Get them of there fast.

BHB,

Talked to one of our neighbors down the road yesterday about his traps. Says he's caught 46 hogs in the last two weeks. As the crow flies he's about 2 miles from our place. Told me he hasn't ever seen this many hogs in the area before. I'm going to look at a used 4 x 4 x 8 trap today. May need some work I've been told, we'll see. What is your method for cleaning a hog?? My dad and his family used to drop them in boiling water, then scrape the hair off. I don't have a pot quite big enough for that.

Jack

jack.diamond":1jivf46j said:
BHB,

Talked to one of our neighbors down the road yesterday about his traps. Says he's caught 46 hogs in the last two weeks. As the crow flies he's about 2 miles from our place. Told me he hasn't ever seen this many hogs in the area before. I'm going to look at a used 4 x 4 x 8 trap today. May need some work I've been told, we'll see. What is your method for cleaning a hog?? My dad and his family used to drop them in boiling water, then scrape the hair off. I don't have a pot quite big enough for that.

Jack

Jack I can tell you have not participated in a hog killin.
You don't boil the water you will set the hair and you will have hell getting it off. The water temp needs to be 120 to 130 degs. Take a burlap bag cover the area and pour the hot water on the sack. After removing the sack take a tin can and cut it half in to fold the top over so it doesn't cut you and use the other end to scrap the hair. If you really want to get to it after guttung the hog sling the crap out of the guts and wash in a 10% clorox solution this is your casing for your sausage. All we threw away was the squel.

backhoeboogie":2oyqpmwn said:
For bait I use whole corn soaked in diesel. I have still caught deer with the diesel on the corn. Luckily I have been able to get the deer out with no consequence. If I did not diesel the corn, I'd catch deer steadily.

Jack I have 4 remote traps. When I find holes I bait the holes and get the hogs coming regularly to the corn. Then I slip a trap in on them. I will reset that trap in that locale for up to a week then move it to another hole. I come back to holes that are productive. Hogs love earthworms and grub worms. If you find a good hole that has worms, acorns, pecans and such, the hogs will hit that hole routinely. You'll find rooted up cow pies and rooted up brush piles. They are getting worms from these locations. Slip some corn in there and bury a little of it.

Preston, I do not put hog traps in my truck. I pick the trap up with the front bucket of the Caterpillar, Backhoe, or the Massey tractor. I haul the trap to my holding pen, set the trap door to door with the pen and let them out into the pen. There is a divider with a remote guilotine gate. I open the guilotine gate from outside the pen and let the hogs into the main holding area from the dividing section. When I remove them live, I do the same thing in reverse.

When folks come to take one, I open the divider and let them into the side section, again with the remote rope. I cull them using the gate as a cut gate except it is a vertical guilotine gate. We pop one, let the other hogs back into the main enclosure and get it out of the divided section for processing. It is very efficient.

There is a hog feeder that holds 500 lbs of feed. The feed doors are in the main pen but the feeder itself is in the divided section. The feeder itself is tied down and I have cut one rung of panel for the feed doors to slide through into the main pen. I fill the feeder once a week when it is full of little pigs. Now that I am down to 8 shoats, I can go longer.

Hogs over 250 pounds bring 60 cents a pound at the buyer in Lingleville. There is a circuit that buys them and most of the meat goes to the northeastern U.S. Hogs weighing 150 to 250 lbs bring 30 cents a pound. You also get a "head bonus" which is down to $5 a head. (e.g. a 300 lb hog at 30 cents a pound fetches $90 for weight and $5 head bonus for a total of $95) Selling them to the circuit guarantees me that these things don't get sent to the exotic game preserves. I could make much more money on the trophy hogs if I sold them to the game places but they would eventually get back out into the wild and wreak havoc for some other farmer/rancher.

Individual hogs that leave my place to freinds, peers at work, and friends of friends, must be field dressed at my pens. Nothing leaves live. Most of these hogs are in the 60 to 80 lb proximity. I let go of some that are heavier but most are under 150 lbs.

The hogs I sell to the circuit give me enough nickels to buy feed for the feeder and corn for the traps. I am getting rid of hogs and not just shooting them and letting them go to the buzzards. There are many farmers who simply shoot them at the creep feeders and leave them.

TexasBoars has a good web site that used to be stocked with a host of info just like this forum but all of the old posts were lost. The site is back up and rebuilding.

Most all of my expertise has come from info at Texasboars and trial and error. I have been a hunter/trapper all my life but hog trapping is something I have only partaken in for the last few years. It is really no different than trapping fox or mink. You simply have to get to know the animal's habits and learn to think like they do. Hogs are the smartest critters out there in the wild. Don't be fooled. Don't get hurt either. Having a pen full of hogs is sort of like a pen full of rattlesnakes.

Boogie a trick I have used on trap wise hogs is to bait the trap and wire the gate for a week, they watch hogs going in and out and quit being so cautious. Then I slip in and set the trap and unwire the gate and bait it with pears . I use diesel corn also.

Caustic Burno":2rwe35ov said:
jack.diamond":2rwe35ov said:
BHB,

Jack

Jack I can tell you have not participated in a hog killin.
You don't boil the water you will set the hair and you will have be nice getting it off. The water temp needs to be 120 to 130 degs. Take a burlap bag cover the area and pour the hot water on the sack. After removing the sack take a tin can and cut it half in to fold the top over so it doesn't cut you and use the other end to scrap the hair. If you really want to get to it after guttung the hog sling the crap out of the guts and wash in a 10% clorox solution this is your casing for your sausage. All we threw away was the squel.

How true! But that's why I'm asking all these questions.
JD

preston39":2xayiv53 said:
Joy in Texas":2xayiv53 said:
Wild_Hogs_11-13-05_004.jpg

Wild_Hogs_11-13-05_009.jpg

Jack this one of the home made traps that we use. As you can see we do need them.
===
Joy...,

What do you use for bait?

How do you get the trap into the truck with several hundred pounds of varmant? ;-)
Well believe it or not Canned peaches......we just put dry corn and pour a can of peaches on it. my brother also puts cherry jello (mixed with a cup of water) on top of dry corn.

jack.diamond":1etvhe9q said:
BHB,

What is your method for cleaning a hog?? My dad and his family used to drop them in boiling water, then scrape the hair off. I don't have a pot quite big enough for that.

Jack

What Caustic told you is dead on. That is not what I do but if you start hanging a hog from the front tractor bucket, every old codger driving down the road is going to stop and tell you everything you need to know. They tell me I do it all wrong. "The only thing that goes to waste on a hog is the squeal" is what you are going to hear over and over.

I hang deer by their heads and tie a block of wood inthe hide and drive off with the pick-up. I can skin 4 deer in less than one hour. That doesn't work with hogs. The hide will rip.

So. For hogs I hang them by their hind feet and skin them. I use brush loppers to lop off the legs. I also lop the rib bones lose from the backbone ending up with two halves. I put the halves in a huge ice chest and cover them wtih ice. I then add a quart of vinegar and a squeezed lemon to the ice and about two gallons of water. I let that sit for 8 hours and then drain the ice chest. This brines the meat. I then rinse the hogs the same way with clean water and block ice for two more 6 to 8 hour cycles. Then I take them out and put them in tap water until I get them to ambient temperature and rub them down with grub rub. Then I put them in the smoker. Take the temperature to 400 degrees for an hour flipping them over 1/2 way through. Then take the hogs out and cut the hams and front quarters loose. I take the temp down to 200 t0 250 degrees and let them set for about 3 hours. Then I take them out and wrap the pieces in foil. If the back bone is gone from the ribs you can ball it up. I let them smoke for about 4 more hours in foil. The meat will then fall off of the bone. I take the meat out and let it cool and pull all the bones out. It tastes nothing like pork. It is excellent eating. Most of this I learned over at Texasboars.com. It works.

Do not use mesquite wood. The smoke is just too strong for that long of a smoke. I have all kinds of hickory on my land over near Marshall but I haven't gotten over there in a while. What I have been using is pecan wood and it works good. I have always preferred mesquite over hickory until I started smoking hogs. Mesquite just doesn't work for me with hogs.

The old codgers are going to be telling you all about the pot and 140 degree water. They know where there are several of the pots in the county, "Out in ole Jakes barn there's a pot..." I love listening to those old codgers. I have offering them hogs over and over and none will take. Maybe some day. They did teach me how to castrate the pigs and many other things. I have some castrated ones in the pen now that I caught at about 15 lbs. They are up to about 80 lbs now. We are planning a big Thanksgiving smoke just like last year.

About 3 this afternoon I am fixing to set up with a 45-70 and kill a big boar. I have a deer feeder set up not far from the house like watching them in the yard in the evening.
He has set up on the feeder and is guarding it running everything off that comes near.

To bad someone can not come up with a way to make them sterile put it in the feed with diesel on it so no other animals eat it and stop the reproducing in a few years.

aplusmnt":3g75u6mu said:
To bad someone can not come up with a way to make them sterile put it in the feed with diesel on it so no other animals eat it and stop the reproducing in a few years.

There is a vet turning loose pot bellied pig boars in the game preserves. He is simply tossing them over the fence. He says these folks brought in Russain Boar. No one would admit to that because they'd probably be subject to law suits at this point.

The ag agents are saying hogs are going to surpass fire ants in nussaince.

Caustic Burno":1kkojvyh said:
About 3 this afternoon I am fixing to set up with a 45-70 and kill a big boar. I have a deer feeder set up not far from the house like watching them in the yard in the evening.
He has set up on the feeder and is guarding it running everything off that comes near.

Good luck. I hope you bust his butt.

Caustic Burno":7agmzcyi said:
aplusmnt":7agmzcyi said:
Why do you guys soak the corn in diesel?

Because they love it and it keeps the other varmits from throwing your traps.

What Caustic said. Even with diesel I still have trapped 4 deer. If I didn't use diesel, I'd be letting deer out of my traps every day. With 4 inch grid, coons cannot get out of the traps and they would trip mine and keep me from catching hogs.

BHB,

Yore cooking recipe sounds good. I have access to a lot of pecan, but not much hickory. I'll try it once I get a hog or two in the trap. I picked up a used trap today 4 x 4 x 8 with a type of saloon doors on it. Two doors that are spring loaded and swing out to close. Needs a couple of new springs I was told. Have you ever seen one made like this? I'm thinking maybe I can make one door stationary and set a trip wire on the other one.

Jack

How often are you running your traps? Every time I've caught a deer it's been dead by the time I get to it, I'm talking from evening to morning.

jack.diamond":14kzpbg6 said:
BHB,

Says he's caught 46 hogs in the last two weeks. As the crow flies he's about 2 miles from our place.
Jack

Jack, you are in for it. I hope you don't have wood fence posts. If you do prepare to see them sheer. When you jump a bunch of hogs they will all hit the fence simultaneously. It is going to be a wreck.

With him catching that many, there are likely a few hundred roaming. Your pasture is going to look like a bomber came through it when they migrate through. Ten sows with litters are probably lingering near by his place. They will populate to well over 300 in a year. Hopefully there is not a whole bunch of Russain boar in their bloodlines. If there is you are toast.

sidney411":2hqk7na1 said:
How often are you running your traps? Every time I've caught a deer it's been dead by the time I get to it, I'm talking from evening to morning.

Atleast once a day in the early a.m. I have heard of people getting dead deer but I have been really lucky. I am usually able to check them in the afternoon too. I once caught a young doe in the afternoon and got her out within 20 minutes. I looked down at the trap and saw her laying on the ground. I called my bro-in-law and told him I had another hog. He said he had passed by the trap on the way home for water and there was nothing in it. I said, "there is now". I drove to it and found it was the deer and pulled the door.

We don't shoot doe because we have some resident doe that give multiple births (twins and triplets). I would hate to see one of those get killed in my traps.

Funny how fast them wild hogs multiply. When we a sow and was raising tame hogs it seemed you had to baby them to keep the mom from killing the babies they were always having problems.

Turn them loose in the wild and the breed like rabbits.

Latest posts