Transporting of cow calf pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello again everyone. I have another newbie question.

We have five cattle that we need to transport from Oregon to central California: One bull, one horned cow and her calf, and another cow calf pair (no horns).

It's my understanding that we don't want to put a polled cow with one with horns. The other thing is that we Shouldn't place the cow calf pair together because the mom may squish or stomp on the calf. We definitely not going to place the bull with anyone - the last thing we need is the bull trying to get his groove on :heart: with the cow during the trip.

How would you transport such a group of cattle in a little trailer? This is not geometry but it's complicated.

Thanks all.

Size of the calves, size of the trailer, and does the trailer have a divider gate? The rules you listed are not absolute but are considerations.

I would haul bull, cows, calves... 3 compartments if the calves are really small.

The horns arent as big of a deal to me as calves not getting stomped on. I dont like putting a cow and young calf together because the calfs will try to be right under the momma the whole time. Once the calves get #200, like 2mo- ish or so then it wouldnt matter as much. You could pair them up then IMO.

More than one way to make it work though.

I wouldn't be too concerned about having the bull with the cows. If your trailer only has two sections I'd definitely put the bull with the cows instead of having the cows with the calves, assuming the calves are small.

Put the bull and the cows together in the front of the trailer and the calves on the back.
The one and only time we got in a hurry and hauled pairs co-mingled we killed a 200lb hfr that got rolled and stepped on as they were unloaded.
Even at weaning I don't haul cows and calves in the same compartment of the trailer.

MeggieSaunders said:
Hello again everyone. I have another newbie question.

We have five cattle that we need to transport from Oregon to central California: One bull, one horned cow and her calf, and another cow calf pair (no horns).

It's my understanding that we don't want to put a polled cow with one with horns. The other thing is that we Shouldn't place the cow calf pair together because the mom may squish or stomp on the calf. We definitely not going to place the bull with anyone - the last thing we need is the bull trying to get his groove on :heart: with the cow during the trip.

How would you transport such a group of cattle in a little trailer? This is not geometry but it's complicated.

Thanks all.

In addition to physical hauling considerations you'll need to have the appropriate interstate transportation paper work completed prior to departure. In the best of circumstances that can take 2-4 weeks.

What is the cows current arrangement? Does the polled one and horned one get along ? I had a horned cow that would pin anyone with her in tight quarters, but not out in the pasture. Size and dividers in the trailer will determine. Bull with cows is not a big deal if he has been with them before... are they bred back? If so, no big deal to be together. How big are the calves? Need more info especially about the trailer size and all.

Thanks everyone! A few more details: The trailer is 14ft with a center divider. The cows are Dexters, so they're a smaller breed. One calf is 5 months old...still alot smaller than mom, but pretty sturdy. And we're traveling a long way -- 10-11 hours.

Thanks for the advice given, and thanks for any additional advice!

Meggie...you need to check out the requirements for moving cattle from OR into CA via the respective state Dept. of AG websites. Lots of paper work required including a Trich on the bull if he's 18 months or older. Definitely need a brand inspection along with the other official health paperwork. I don't envy your long haul. If you don't mind me asking where is your departure and destination.

If the divider is half way then put the bull and the horned cow in the front, the polled one with the 2 calves in the back. No chance for the horned cow to get cranky and hook a calf, the bull won't put up with too much from her. The other cow and the 2 calves should have space to travel together and less chance they will get stepped on with only one cow, if they should lay down, which they probably will. Or do 3 in front and 2 calves in back, but I think the other way will work if they have the dispositions to be peaceful.
Don't know about the paperwork for traveling out west like that. With the virus crap, who knows if they will even look, check, or care..... but if you get stopped.....could be a real mess.

When we relocated our cattle from CA to OR in 2016 it was a new experience and we jumped through all the hoops. Back story...a long time professional interstate bull & horse transporter who'd previously hauled three bulls to us from CO-CA wound up buying our heifer crop in 2018. When he picked them up I asked if over the years if he'd ever have cause to show the transport info. He rolled his eyes, laughed & replied NEVER. FWIW this guy routinely hauled 5 figure and more animals including more than a few in & out of Canada. Noted his driving record was squeaky clean & made sure his truck & trailer were in proper working order. Bottom line...if you don't know the ropes its probably best to tow the line.

Latest posts