Tranquing a cow to capture

Help Support CattleToday:

Forgot to mention. I have gotten them out of the woods with a boom pole, when she wakes up. She will need to be haltered about a foot off the end. Also a monumental task to get the halter off her, when you get her in the trailer.

No disrespect to anyone that recommended dogs but a wild 900# heifer that's never been worked with dogs in a 100 acre pasture will be a wreck
If it was bigger country I'd agree but in a 100 acres she's going thru a fence before the dogs teach her to respect them
That's just my opinion and anyone had the right to disagree

No disrespect taken. He's got the trifecta of a bad situation. I don't have dogs now, and the dogs I used to have, could probably not bay that cow where she is.

JenLamb35":3ht2rtl3 said:
We have a rougue 900 heifer in our 100 acre timber with no way of convincing her to get back in with the other cattle. She has gotten wild enough to herd like a hog. We can get about 20 feet from her and she bolts into the brush like a deer. So....with all options exhausted - we're considering a tranquilizer dart. Our vet will let us borrow his gun and get us the tranq and reversal meds.

Has anyone had experience with this and could give us a few tips? Thanks.
If you can get 20ft from her she ain't that wild, just smart. I'm just itchin to try my hand at her.

Can you shut her off from water ?
If you can put the water in the pen and make her go in it to get water
If you can't rope her ,wait her out, if there is not a reason to get her out right away
Keep trying to feed her in the pen but don't pressure her
After you get her coming in and comfortable with you then quietly shut the gate( just make sure you have a pen that will hold her
If she gets out you may not get another chance

I would try putting 3 or 4 easy going older cows with her and I bet she will take up with them
if not I say the right kind of dogs can bring her out and bay her up, they may eat her ears off and mess her up but they can do it . Not every dog is a dog to use in this setting takes the right ones
The end result she would go to the sale barn I have bought lots of stock from sales and know when I do I may be buying someones problem cow if you don't want to take that risk stay away from sale barns and buy from farms

Yeah, if you do get her cought and hauled make sure she go's to a killer buyer. I have dealt with some of the same type of cows.

greybeard":25vprlhj said:
cross_7":25vprlhj said:

Hooknline does it from a 4 wheeler--maybe he's close enough to JenLamb to go lend a hand with this 900 lb cow. :banana:
Nah, crazy just need to be burger. Safer, quicker, tastier

hooknline":asun065v said:
Dega Moo":asun065v said:
This may feel a bit like throwing good after bad but when you're desperate ..... cattle are herd animals and the instinct to stay together is strong. We've had a couple of similar situations which we've handled by putting three or four easy handling cows in with the single crazy. Make sure those cows learn to feed in that pen and give her some time to adjust and find her spot in the new herd. Keep hand feeding them in your corral and eventually she's likely to join the others. With some perseverance you should be able to capture her.
And then what? Sell her at the barn so she becomes someone else's problem? Not that I disagree with what you're saying but in this case she needs to go the packer without running the risk of any unsuspecting buyer thinking they are goin to buy her and turn her out
Sale Barns ARE and always have been BUYER BE WARE. If you aren't experienced you shouldn't be buying at the sale barn. If you do it's called an EDUCATION.

Isomade":3l5sm6mv said:
hooknline":3l5sm6mv said:
Dega Moo":3l5sm6mv said:
This may feel a bit like throwing good after bad but when you're desperate ..... cattle are herd animals and the instinct to stay together is strong. We've had a couple of similar situations which we've handled by putting three or four easy handling cows in with the single crazy. Make sure those cows learn to feed in that pen and give her some time to adjust and find her spot in the new herd. Keep hand feeding them in your corral and eventually she's likely to join the others. With some perseverance you should be able to capture her.
And then what? Sell her at the barn so she becomes someone else's problem? Not that I disagree with what you're saying but in this case she needs to go the packer without running the risk of any unsuspecting buyer thinking they are goin to buy her and turn her out
Sale Barns ARE and always have been BUYER BE WARE. If you aren't experienced you shouldn't be buying at the sale barn. If you do it's called an EDUCATION.

Absolutely. Learned a few lessons myself recently. But some should be marked simply for kill only and not rehomed

cross_7":1irxshlg said:
Somebody scared her off, must have been Iso :D
:D I just want to know if their place is close so I can get my chance at this wild beast.

I second what dega says, calm cattle always cool off the hot heads, at least for us. Or just send in the dogs, they will get her too.

denvermartinfarms":n20nwnva said:
If they get her to the sale she will probably make it well known in the ring what she can expected to be like.
You got that right. I seen some well built rings tested pretty good by somebody's wild thangs about a month ago. Both were momma cows.
Maybe the OP was hoping for really easy answers--------------there aren't any.

Latest posts