training acd

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I have considered getting 2 acd. I have access to a friend with trained dogs who i can bring over to saw my dogs the ropes. How much trying to most acd need to learn how to work cattle and do their job. i have a small place but want to get them into the habbit of what to do when the dogs come. i sure got a charge out of watching good cattle dogs in operation. thanks.

jvicars":328rf06d said:
I have considered getting 2 acd. I have access to a friend with trained dogs who i can bring over to saw my dogs the ropes. How much trying to most acd need to learn how to work cattle and do their job. i have a small place but want to get them into the habbit of what to do when the dogs come. i sure got a charge out of watching good cattle dogs in operation. thanks.
It is my understanding that if you have 2 cattle dogs, they will not work as well. It becomes more of a competition/game than a job. Also more apt to chase cattle when they should be sleeping in the yard. Has anyone had that experience?

I work pairs of dogs all the time and they don't make a game out of it. I also work different pairs of dogs and they dont act any different than when they work with a dog they work with often.

Of course you have to buy dog that is "bred" to work. You cant just go buy a dog and expect it to work out. If you seriously want a working dog, go to a known breeder and expect to pay for the quality you are getting.

Finally, go find a good Border Collie before you mess with acd's.

We have been looking into getting a dog as well... we work our cattle on foot (Beefmaster pretty easy to do that way) and my feet are getting slower (for those little stinker calves that love to run)...

Several questions:
1. Is it best to get a pup from a trainer so it works with us? or a fully trained dog?
2. Breed --> is there a place I can look up breeds (border collie vs. others)
3. Cost... what do you think a good price would be for such a dog?

Any/all advice appreciated.

Border Collie pups with a guarantee to work are going from $350 to $1,000 each. A started dog will cost at least $1,500, depending on who you get it from. A finished dog will depend on how good it is and who is selling it, but you are looking at least $2,500. I know it sounds like alot, but you get what you pay for. A "cowdog" pup at the feed store is not what you want to waste your money on. Open your checkbook up if you want a dog that will be worth the money in the long run.

If you think you can train a pup to work for you, go that route. If you want something to start working right away, get in touch with someone that has some for sale and buy a started or finished dog.

The best thing about a Border Collie is that they are bred to gather and bring cattle to you. Once the cattle realize the dog wins, you can open gates on the way as the dog is bringing and holding cattle for you.

And Border Collies are not as bad as people make them out to be about working stock when they are not supposed to be. It's called making the dog realize when it is supposed to work and when it is not to. I can leave all my dogs out and they wont go work for themselves. I usually just kennel them so they dont get out on a road and in the kennel they just kick back and relax.

If you are seriously interested, I can give you a phone number for a guy in CA that will for sure help you.

I asked for a pup and tried to train it to muster cattle . I have had German Shepherds all my life and know how to train them. Bought a cattle dog book though to make sure.

But the Kelpie cross I got can sit and lie down and stay and come behind , but there is no way I can teach him to go out or come in or do anything sensible once he sees the Cattle

He goes at their heels , he goes at their throats and muzzles , he goes at their sides and all this in the first three seconds.! Just completely crazy -everything forgotten once he sees the cows. Keeps stampeding them back on me. Running them off to the bush . Bloody mad !

My Suggestion - buy a made dog and let it teach you what you should know first ,then you can train a cheaper one if you need to. They only last about 14 years .

update-

i purchased a 7 month old female. she was purchased by a breeder for her breeding program. he decided she did not like her legs or something. so far a really good dog. shy at first but she shows good signs.

i put her own my goats and she had some fun and i let her go without much correction expect off.

she loves the calfs. i plan to get a few small weaned cheap calfs to let her work in a pen.

the plan is to let her work with some trained dogs and get her going on the calfs.

thanks for advice from the group.

IMO ACD's are the only way to go for herding dogs. Pay for quality and look for a pup from working parents. We bought our current pair when they were two months old and had them around cattle when they were three months old. If you are really serious about training a good cattle dog pm me and I'll send you an email. I could go on all day and take up pages of room, but it would be easier to shoot a pm or email. Congrats on your purchase!

ArrowHBrand":76795hz8 said:
IMO ACD's are the only way to go for herding dogs. Pay for quality and look for a pup from working parents. We bought our current pair when they were two months old and had them around cattle when they were three months old. If you are really serious about training a good cattle dog pm me and I'll send you an email. I could go on all day and take up pages of room, but it would be easier to shoot a pm or email. Congrats on your purchase!

If you want someone to work with I have a friend in Wimauna (sp?) . Her family raised Angus down there for many years. They have recently sold that farm, but still have a small spot with some cattle and sheep. She does some training when she has time and works her own dogs. Their history is with loose-eyed dogs ( English Shepherds) and their family has worked them on cattle since her grandparents. pm me if you want to contact her.

Latest posts