Training a Blue Heeler?

Help Support CattleToday:

That's the thing most people don't understand.
They're are pushing/driving dogs and gathering dogs.
Both can be trained but instinct is hard to overcome.
Figure out what you want from a dog and get one that fits your needs

I'm not a real dog trainer, but I agree that before it works cows it need to have a rock solid "down" and "back", as well as "heel". I have had the best luck with this by always keeping the dog on a long line at least 50 feet) with a choke collar. That way they can't get away from you and you can correct instantly.

Cross-7":i1soy8d5 said:
Personally I'd get a better dog.
I'm s firm believer in cattle bred border collies
I tried a sheep bred border collie. He was wired up really tight and scared of cattle... Would try to gather but mostly just barked at them... He did bring in a rouge steer on his own, but that was because he ran back to me with the steer in close pursuit. :nod:

What about Australian Shepherds?

cow pollinater":25rn7y4c said:
I love heelers and will probably have one floating around until the day I die but they are not my choice for cow work. They will help you push cows around and if you really get one trained they might gather a little with you helping but I've seen very few that will go do the work for you the way gathering breeds will.
The best use for a heeler is as your guardian angel. When you have something penned up that wants to kill you there is no other dog that you want standing next to you. Both of mine are retired and then some but you wouldn't know it when the snot starts blowing.
Great post. Never heard of or seen a herding heeler. Their place is up close with you keeping the cows moving in the right direction. Until they understand that you're the boss they may decide that they know the "right" direction better than you. You'll probably have to put a few knots in her head before she realizes that you're in charge.

Thread is about 5 years old by now, that dog is set in its ways by now.
Yes they are hard headed dogs, but they are individuals. Ours has never had any real training at all, but just watched me and my older Border Collie drive them out of the feeding area when she was a pup. He died when she was about a year old and she stepped right in. She has surpassed what he would do and can also help me drive them toward and through gates. She will do a bit of herding too, as she will go head off and turn strays or stragglers back to the rest of them.

An individual I knew had a red heeler. Three or four people went with him one day to load a yearling heifer out of a small pasture
that was maybe an acre in size. We didn't take any panels, he backed the pickup and trailer into the pasture, opened the door
on the back of trailer, and then we all started working our way around the perimeter. The guys red heeler went out and gently worked
the heifer up and put her in the trailer, we are all staring at each and realizing nobody is close enough to close the door, the dog sort of
looks at us like "what's the matter with you guys, someone needs to shut the door". The dog stood quietly and let the heifer come back
out, probably thought he had misunderstood what we trying to do.

Latest posts