Trailer opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I'm gonna go look at this trailer tomorrow , guy has extensive pictures in his ad, looks pretty good , full 2 1/2 oak deck, good tires etc. Is 4k reasonable in your area ? My wife says just get it , it's what you need , but the tightwad in me says too much . I need a lower profile trailer to load hay on since I don't have a fel, and you just don't find them around here for sale very often , and a tri axle to boot . What do you think ?

snoopdog":1k61hft7 said:
I'm gonna go look at this trailer tomorrow , guy has extensive pictures in his ad, looks pretty good , full 2 1/2 oak deck, good tires etc. Is 4k reasonable in your area ? My wife says just get it , it's what you need , but the tightwad in me says too much . I need a lower profile trailer to load hay on since I don't have a fel, and you just don't find them around here for sale very often , and a tri axle to boot . What do you think ?

While I understand what you are saying that trailer would be much more here. I personally only see low profile trailer's that are being used as a caregiver that they special ordered. I would personally buy it but not having a fel makes a difference. Maybe measure deck height vs how high your tractor lifts.

The frame and build of trailer all looks good, but what I would not like is the wood should be running long ways and not cross ways but just to haul hay should be ok and I myself am no fan of triple axle trailers. I would say that it was a special made trailer for something

BRYANT":pneu4smf said:
The frame and build of trailer all looks good, but what I would not like is the wood should be running long ways and not cross ways but just to haul hay should be ok and I myself am no fan of triple axle trailers. I would say that it was a special made trailer for something
Agree with the wood as it doesn't add strength and tri-axle you will be putting tires on pretty often from the drag around. Also taking the trailer over any ditches, humps etc. it will be dragging. For your land and use it maybe perfect though. Looks to be well built.

Personally I would get one of these and throw in a few more bucks (maybe very few) and get a regulator goose neck trailer, 2 axle, with the bed about the wheels. You will be much happier IMO.

vKV7TN3.jpg

If your just hauling hay those inline trip trailers sure look handy only need tractor on one end. But maybe need front end loader?

The guy did have it special built by elite, for hauling airplanes , but has hauled a 450c with it , according to him . We'll see , but I really need a trailer that is versatile even though it's main duty will be hay, and he's already come down a little .The deck height is 28in so that supports loading from the 3pt. What is that called JL?

snoopdog":1bcs1zvh said:
The guy did have it special built by elite, for hauling airplanes , but has hauled a 450c with it , according to him . We'll see , but I really need a trailer that is versatile even though it's main duty will be hay, and he's already come down a little .The deck height is 28in so that supports loading from the 3pt. What is that called JL?

It is call a 3-point scissors hitch lift. I have seen them sell used at auctions around $200 without the hay carrier attached. With the cylinder you can set a round bale of hay on a trailer or truck bed easy.

Here are some that has just sold out but they will have more listed shortly $260 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-3PT-Scis ... 2148991728

Extend the reach and range of your tractor's 3-point hitch with the Titan Attachments 3-point Scissor lift.

Features:
- Constructed of heavy duty 4" x 4" steel tubing and heavy duty pinion.
- Use as a high lift for raising items with out a front end loader.
- Great for loading into a truck bed, trailer, or double stack hay in the barn.
- Compatible with CAT 1 tractor 3-point hitches.
- Installs to the lower lift arms and top link to raise and lower attachments.
- A top link or cylinder can be used to install attachments to your scissor lift.
- Ideal for 3-point bale spears and pallet forks available from Titan Attachments.
- Load Capacity: 3,300 LB

Specifications:
- Weight: 148 LB
- Width: 27.5"
- Height: 36.2"
- Height from lift pins to pinion: 18.5"
- Steel: 4" x 4" tubing

resize.php

snoopdog":3oaj59fa said:

Around here there call scissor spears.

jltrent":1vnqm6wp said:
snoopdog":1vnqm6wp said:

It is call a 3-point scissors hitch lift. I have seen them sell used at auctions around $200 without the hay carrier attached. With the cylinder you can set a round bale of hay on a trailer or truck bed easy.
I could see me owning one, but have never seen one around here.

It looks like a well built trailer. Looking at the picture it appears that the crossmembers run parallel with the frame? If so, having the boards like that should be fine. If the crossmembers run side to side and some of the boards have no support, I would pass on it. With the triple axles you just have to watch the tight turns or rather just don't get in a position where you have to do a tight turn. I would really check the suspension components for wear. I would also check out the wiring harness to see how its ran and what type of wiring, that could be a headache if not done right. Here in south Tx, a trailer like that for 4k is a good price if in good shape. Your in the land of cheap trailers IMO. I used to go to OK and buy trailers quite often. I likes May trailers out of Ada, Ok.

The flooring going crosswise, it is bolted straight to the main frame to keep the height at the bare minimum rather than to an extra layer of steel going across which would increase the height another 3" or there abouts. That is what you are after, minimum height. I see no problem with that, probably just a bit thicker timber to compensate for the spacings.

Ken

I did not buy the trailer today , going to look a little more , no special reason . Just didn't feel right today .

snoopdog":3v0kx2rw said:
I did not buy the trailer today , going to look a little more , no special reason . Just didn't feel right today .
I personally think that was a smart move.

Latest posts