Trailer brake wiring?

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
I have a 16 foot car hauler that has never been wired. It has brakes on both axles. Do I really need to both, and if so do I just connect all four into the one lead wire to the plug?

You connect all four of the hots to the brake line on the plug, and you also need to route the grounds up to the tongue as well. Running each line to the front or using a larger than normal wire to connect them gives better performance than daisy chaining them.

Train":9mpvynoy said:
I have a 16 foot car hauler that has never been wired. It has brakes on both axles. Do I really need to both, and if so do I just connect all four into the one lead wire to the plug?
more stopping power if you do......if your thinking wear the fronts out first then switch to the back....most likely they will be ruined or froze up by the time you need them....

1982vett":1hll6a3a said:
Train":1hll6a3a said:
more stopping power if you do......if your thinking wear the fronts out first then switch to the back....most likely they will be ruined or froze up by the time you need them....
if they are not already

Be sure to run the ground through the wire connection and to the vehicle and don't depend on the ball acting as a ground connection as it is subject to fail at any time.

Latest posts