Trade Tips and Effects ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The US is now on track for several more Trump checks to offset trade war effects on crop production. We talk a lot about price, but the difference between costs and income is what really counts. The talking heads are telling us to include this income in the per acre margin analysis - - along with crop insurance payments and conservation payments and other government payments... Going forward:

Should we plant more money losing crops and hope for more bail outs ?

Should we hope for trade somewhere somehow with some one to consume US over production surpluses and create a positive margin ?

Should we give up on production ag and plant trees ?

Should we plant more hemp and mellow out like Canada ? :cowboy:

Apparently, working our butt off for nothing is not good enough anymore. Lease the land out to hunters or sell out completely.

The export surplus production approach seems like an ongoing mess. I agree that some additional US land will come out of production.

As a Canadian I say plant more WEED crops. Not hemp. You need some Sativa plants my friend.

My cows are just an ornament. The real money is in recreational and medical marijuana. The local government here has only allowed people owning property in the ALR (agricultural land reserve) WITH existing structures in place to grow. That means the tractors are going out in the rain and the building are in full bloom.

cowgal604 said:
As a Canadian I say plant more WEED crops. Not hemp. You need some Sativa plants my friend.

My cows are just an ornament. The real money is in recreational and medical marijuana. The local government here has only allowed people owning property in the ALR (agricultural land reserve) WITH existing structures in place to grow. That means the tractors are going out in the rain and the building are in full bloom.

Marijuana is the future. Real competition is the the Mexican cartels :shock:

Stock up on cattle! China will be buying more soon! Didn't you see the look on a Xi Jinping last time he met President Trump? He knows he is going to lose. USA!!! https://postimg.cc/GTx9YqHb

I sure in the cow sh!t didn't want your "sissy flowered faced Ivy League President" to fail. Because I don't want this country to fail. Take your transgender bathrooms , anti cow , baby killing , anti god , anti free market , anti American, everythings free, crap and go join the Communist! This is coming from a real Native American that can speak my language and knows my traditions.

Steve, I believe plant-based protein is going to be a real thing. The consumer thinks he is doing good by eating it (don't know who is at fault for that)

Carls, Whole Foods, Tyson, Dunkin Donuts and Burger King are only a few of the giants who have already made it available.

Could it be that industrial ag, with its dependency on chemicalized and subsidized feed, pesticides and medicine has fallen out of consumer favor? Do consumers see plant-based protein as their answer? Demand for pastured meat from sustainable, ecologically friendly ranches has skyrocketed in the past few years...could demand continue to grow as consumers are further turned off by feedlots?

If so, what direction do forward-thinking ranchers need to be taking?

Free advise from talking heads is now to stop expanding production and improve your liquidity. Damm, I just bought another cow maker bull... :(

True believers still think grass fed is the answer. I wish it was so, but I would not count on it w/o COOL. They can graze a lot cheaper in the rain forest and in the pampas.

I think increasing input costs are slowly killing US production ag. So, I am working on a soil generating rev. 3 lay farming scenario. Enterprise budgets get interesting if you produce most of your own fertilizer and seed. This is something I can control.

I can not control the weather. Folks at the UN think climate change will reduce global food production and there may not be enough soy lent green to go around :roll:

If you can not lay farm, or believe we are going to burn up and flood out, I would consider copying what they do in South Africa. High fence and low input drought resistant game animals. Let them eat Kudu.

Most cows are 1400 pound range, frame score I would guess around 6. I have one cow that was 1800 pounds open when I bought her. Yesterday she wouldn't fit in the chute when we ai'd her. https://postimg.cc/gallery/18yy7nnd4/. Forgive the corral, it's temporary going to make some pens and a work facility this winter after last cutting.

Latest posts