Tractor tires, brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I need to replace the front on a 4wd tractor. It has Titan 9.5-24 on it now.
See some Carlisle cheaper and friend bought some BTK from a place locally that I need to check the price on, his were very reasonable for a larger size. Never heard of the BTK. Would you do 6 or 8 ply?

Fronts on a loader tractor I buy the heaviest ply and load rating available.

As for brand generally you get what you pay for. I put BKTs on the front of a tractor 5 years ago now and they are dry rotting and cracking. It's a loader tractor that sees a lot of pavement time so they will be bald before the cracks cause problems. I have Firestone's on the front of another tractor that are 6 years old and no splits or cracks at all.

Next time around I'm going to try trellborgs.

I like firestone. My traveling tire guy can get anything, and that's what he recommends. As for plies, I go with as many as I can afford.

Hands down, Kelly Springfield. Bought 2 sets of 2000 series (don't know what that means) 4 ply R1s back in the year 2000. Still have tread like new and zero weather cracking. I do keep them under a shed roof.

Pay now or pay later. Cry once and get it over with. Unless you are planning to get rid of the tractor in short order don't scrimp on tires. I saw a guy get killed because of cheap tires. Good rubber pays.

I had good service out of the Titans, 12 years. Always thought Firestone's were good, just have to call around now.

BKTs suck. Have a pair on the front of our 45hp 4WD utility, and one on a mixer wagon. Both are terribly soft and squishy, air them up way past rated pressure and they still squat. In both cases they were all that was available in those sizes, if given the option I would avoid them.

Cultor and Firestone are my preferences.

Aaron said:
Firestone. 8 ply. Made in America. Nuff said.

We have a JD 6330 MFWD. We got it new. It was built in Mannheim, Germany. It came with Firestone tires that were made in Spain. They are AWESOME! Just over 5000 hrs and getting ready to replace the rears for the first time. Second set of fronts. We run on the road all the time.

Lucky said:
Whatever brand you go with get radials.

What advantage does radials give you on a tractor? If what I find is correct a 250/85R24 is what replaces a 9.5-24 bias ply tire.

Radials are generally smoother on the road and in the field. Radials pull better and cause less soil compaction. In tillage situations a radial will net you better fuel economy. Comparing equal quality radial/bias the radial will outlast the bias, sometimes 2X+ depending on what your using it for.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Radials are generally smoother on the road and in the field. Radials pull better and cause less soil compaction. In tillage situations a radial will net you better fuel economy. Comparing equal quality radial/bias the radial will outlast the bias, sometimes 2X+ depending on what your using it for.
Is it ok to put radial on the front ans still have bias on the back?

Latest posts