Tractor size?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":1ahbfzsv said:
to pull a 9ft disc mower you want a min of 80hp tractor.youll lugg at 50pto hp tractor down pretty good pulling a 9ft cutter.

Depends on the tractor brand. I pull a 9 foot Vicon with a 4630 Ford, 56 HP. A lot of how you cut with a disc mower has to do with how sharp the cutter blades are. The cutter needs to turn at a recommended RPM to be effective . RPMS and ground speed over the field has a lot to do with the quality cut. Slow RPMS and high ground speed will result in a poor cut. I do not own any tractor that I paid over $5000 far. Now I know I am a small operator compared to a lot of you guys but I try to make do with the slightest amount of input as possible. Never have I had a tractor have a calve to sell. Never had a cow complain about the equipment I used to produce feed and pasture for them.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way your land lays. If u live in a area where the land is mostly flat then u could get by with a smaller tractor. Where I live there is no way a 4630 would pull a 9 ft disc mower up these hills at any reasonable speed then try and pick up that mower on a hill and have to back up beacUse u found a big rock in the feild wouldn't work to good. My john deere (65hp) will pull my hay roller fine on flater fields I have but on most hay fields I have it's to small and need a heavier and more hp tractor because of the hills

hurleyjd":q3zrwb13 said:
bigbull338":q3zrwb13 said:
to pull a 9ft disc mower you want a min of 80hp tractor.youll lugg at 50pto hp tractor down pretty good pulling a 9ft cutter.

Depends on the tractor brand. I pull a 9 foot Vicon with a 4630 Ford, 56 HP. A lot of how you cut with a disc mower has to do with how sharp the cutter blades are. The cutter needs to turn at a recommended RPM to be effective . RPMS and ground speed over the field has a lot to do with the quality cut. Slow RPMS and high ground speed will result in a poor cut. I do not own any tractor that I paid over $5000 far. Now I know I am a small operator compared to a lot of you guys but I try to make do with the slightest amount of input as possible. Never have I had a tractor have a calve to sell. Never had a cow complain about the equipment I used to produce feed and pasture for them.

I used a NH 60 and a Massey 65 on a 9' Krone.
Liked the Massey better on the hills just because it weighed about 1500 pounds more.
You are dead on about speed as well no two hayfields ever cut the same have operate according to the grass.

I have the jd 5065e 4wd it handles round bales with no problem. Its a great tractor and easy on fuel. I cute and baled well over 100 acres of square bales with it this year. I think ive put close to 200 hrs on it since I got it in may.

I agree with the consensus here of 75 hp minimum for a loader tractor. Once you get mfwd, you'll never want to go back to 2wd for a loader tractor ;-)

I'd never have another tractor without a nice cab either. Couldn't do it anyway if I wanted to. It's nice to be able to work in shirtsleeve comfort whether it's +100 or -30 degrees :nod:

Based on my Kubota experience, I would recommend the M100GX, which is the baby brother of my M126GX.

There are 4 models in the MGX lineup. The 2 smaller frame tractors are basically identical while the 2 larger frame tractors are basically identical. Getting to be quite a few of the 2 larger models in this neighborhood.

If I were looking for a smaller loader tractor with an all weather cab that could still handle round bales, I'd seriously consider the M100GX. http://www.kubota.com/product/grandX/M100GX.aspx

Latest posts