tractor q

Help Support CattleToday:

I have had a tractor large enough to move anything I need and a cab with AC and heat even a radio that works all the light need to see for 2 winters now. Just like a 4 WD truck just don't know how I did with out one. Buy what you need and add the lux. to it, it will make you enjoy losing money one the farm.

AngusLimoX":3vtqcl2r said:
upfrombottom":3vtqcl2r said:
A cab is, literally, a lifesaver when baling hay with a tail wind.

There have been times when I have dead headed one way on a field just to bail into the wind. :lol:
Tedding with a tail wind and an open tractor is also the pits.

We just did exactly what you were talking about....

fixed up our old Case with a loader and now we use it as backup. Bought a newer used Case FWD with loader and grapple and CAB!! For under $20,000.

I LOVE it! I didn't like driving the old Case, she was hard-starting, and the brakes weren't too reliable but the newer tractor is great for me when my hubby is on the road. I use an old H for mowing, and and old Massey 50 for raking hay but the baler tractor is a 966 IH with a cab. Nothing is really new but we keep up on maintenance and repairs.
So far, so good, and yes I'm hoping I didn't just jinx something!

every1 is making some great posts thanks.running 1 tractor has always put us on ice.but weve always been lucky to get it going pretty quick.an im to the point i want a new tractor.1 that can hold up to loader work.an 1 with 4wd drive.dont know how long itll take me to get a newer tractor.but ill keep working on that goal.

I was in the same boat as you were, i had a JD 4230 w/ldr that was 37 yrs old and wanted something newer and more reliable with more features. I bought a 98 JD 6610 w/ldr and everything i wanted (joystick, cab, air, heat, extra remotes). Well two weeks after i got it, in the bitter cold i blew off a hydraulic hose and lost all my fluid and controls (not the tractors fault, at least i don't think so). So anyways back to the old reliable 4230 till i got everything fixed and the hydro fluid and filters changed. Nothing like having a backup tractor even for a small operator like me, Anyways to make a long story short, i've decided that these newer tractors aren't built like the older ones were, not near as heavy and as a result don't get around in mud or ride as good. I almost got it stuck last night while feeding hay. and it's not that muddy yet. Im going to have to put a bale of hay on the back just to be able able to get around in the mud and feed this winter. I think thats why you see so many of them with 4 wheel drive. Instead of selling the 4230, i've decided to keep it around (at least for a while).
P.S. I still love my new one for a lot of reasons, but wish it were 4wd. (next time :)

cowsrus":20uw24at said:
I was in the same boat as you were, i had a JD 4230 w/ldr that was 37 yrs old and wanted something newer and more reliable with more features. I bought a 98 JD 6610 w/ldr and everything i wanted (joystick, cab, air, heat, extra remotes). Well two weeks after i got it, in the bitter cold i blew off a hydraulic hose and lost all my fluid and controls (not the tractors fault, at least i don't think so). So anyways back to the old reliable 4230 till i got everything fixed and the hydro fluid and filters changed. Nothing like having a backup tractor even for a small operator like me, Anyways to make a long story short, i've decided that these newer tractors aren't built like the older ones were, not near as heavy and as a result don't get around in mud or ride as good. I almost got it stuck last night while feeding hay. and it's not that muddy yet. Im going to have to put a bale of hay on the back just to be able able to get around in the mud and feed this winter. I think thats why you see so many of them with 4 wheel drive. Instead of selling the 4230, i've decided to keep it around (at least for a while).
P.S. I still love my new one for a lot of reasons, but wish it were 4wd. (next time :)
You do realize your comparing apples to oranges. A 4230 would be comparable to a 7000 series rather than any 6000 series tractors. I would argue the new tractors get around better and ride better if you compare them to a similar older tractor. I also wouldn't buy another 2wd tractor. Mechanical front is so nice once you get used to it. It is always there with the flip of a switch. Plus the front axle is able to handle much more than an axle on a 2wd. They are more money but they hold their value.

You are correct, i wasn't thinking right about the comparison. There is a lot of weight/hp difference in the two tractors.

well i called an talked to a kubota dealer.i got the prices on 2 tractors.1 is a 4800SU 4x4 for $19,375.then priced a 5040 4x4 for $27500 w/o loader.an $35,000 with the loader.bro got stuck getting hay out the other day.so a friend pulled him out.an moved some hay out for us.so im gonna try to have a 4x4 by next winter.may end up getting a used 1.but really dont know yet.