Tractor Exhaust

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
True Grit Farms":17u28wm8 said:
I know how to cut and fabricate metal somewhat, and aluminum and SS better than most. It takes the same amount time to make the right cuts and fit the pieces together properly, if you know how to lay out, fabricate and read a tape measure. This is a case of do as I say not as I do, but it's a fact. A good layout man is way harder to find than a good welder.

That is Right in some cases and dead wrong in others. Your a armchair cowboy who's been to class but not to work. in the real world you would starve to death.

I burn 50 pounds of rods a week and I can fill that gap faster than you can light the torch.

skyhightree1":2qwpf580 said:
Well a limb decided to knock my muffler loose on a tractor while bush hogging I was driving the service truck with the welder " stick " on it. I let the exhaust cool and then proceeded to weld it with stick after burning a hole in it at 55amps dcep I decided to drop it to 40amps was hard to get an arc cranked it up to 45 amps still hard but better but managed to get it back together with no leaks and fixed the hole where I burned through. I didn't want to drive 30 mins back to mig weld it and drive back. Has anyone ever stick welded exhaust before are there any tips or tricks you can offer incase this happens again ? I used 1/8 7018 that's all that I had on the truck.
Datgumit sky....what in the world is going on when a tree trimmer lets a tree limb treat you this way....... :shock: ....I'd have figured them treelimbs would respect you better than this. :lol:

True Grit Farms":2fv8rd67 said:
callmefence":2fv8rd67 said:
greybeard":2fv8rd67 said:
Yes. I call it 'sewing'. My father could do it much much better than I can, almost second nature.
No matter what, you have to move the electrode faster than you would normally weld at.
I've welded a lot of 14 and 16 ga by kind of skipping the rod along the seam pretty fast, depositing a bit of metal all along both sides of the seam. Some people call it 'padding'. Let it cool, wire brush it, then do it again, then going back and 'sew' it together using the heat sink rod.
Others do it a little differently:
http://survivalengineer.blogspot.com/20 ... n-002.html

Gorilla welding... I've welded plenty of exhaust, a couple cracked hydraulic lines and grandmas wheelchair... with stick

If you can't sew a half inch gap. You can't weld

Why would anyone ever have to fill a 1/2" gap. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to fabricate, or read a tape measure. I know I can't weld a 1/2" gap over head in one pass.

This is right now today. Not only do the post have to be saddled they have to be saddled to match the steep and constantly changing terrain . There will be some gaps. I don't care who you are
Or in your case who you think you are. There's gonna be some. And the fastest way to deal with it. Is to sew em up.

1982vett":31u8nvqq said:
skyhightree1":31u8nvqq said:
Well a limb decided to knock my muffler loose on a tractor while bush hogging I was driving the service truck with the welder " stick " on it. I let the exhaust cool and then proceeded to weld it with stick after burning a hole in it at 55amps dcep I decided to drop it to 40amps was hard to get an arc cranked it up to 45 amps still hard but better but managed to get it back together with no leaks and fixed the hole where I burned through. I didn't want to drive 30 mins back to mig weld it and drive back. Has anyone ever stick welded exhaust before are there any tips or tricks you can offer incase this happens again ? I used 1/8 7018 that's all that I had on the truck.
Datgumit sky....what in the world is going on when a tree trimmer lets a tree limb treat you this way....... :shock: ....I'd have figured them treelimbs would respect you better than this. :lol:

Man I gets no respect ... I guess that's what I get for turning their ancestors into firewood :lol:

Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.

True Grit Farms":25nlxts1 said:
Any half azz welder can fill a 1/2" gap in schedule 40 pipe, even overhead. We started out talking sheet metal and now we're on to pipe....imagine that. I don't know about in the real world, but I made it in my world and have the belly to prove it.

I think your all talk... always have... always will till you show me different

callmefence":3rvcgij6 said:
True Grit Farms":3rvcgij6 said:

I don't have to prove nothing to anyone besides my family, and you can bet your hot sweating azz that I'm not outside working in this heat. Hunting, fishing and playing golf all the time is not for everyone, but I like it.

True Grit Farms":2ca1ynu2 said:
callmefence":2ca1ynu2 said:
True Grit Farms":2ca1ynu2 said:

I don't have to prove nothing to anyone besides my family, and you can bet your hot sweating azz that I'm not outside working in this heat. Hunting, fishing and playing golf all the time is not for everyone, but I like it.

You wanna put me down for working you go head. I'll work till the day I die.
And again you show what a piece you are.

I'll hunt and fish on my money not daddy's.

My son would resent that remark, considering he pulled fish till his hands bled last week. My son is paying his dues like I paid mine, and proud for him. Myself I'm still glad my dad's alive, and I'm not really looking forward to the day I can spend his money.

True Grit Farms":140r41ks said:

My son would resent that remark, considering he pulled fish till his hands bled last week. My son is paying his dues like I paid mine, and proud for him. Myself I'm still glad my dad's alive, and I'm not really looking forward to the day I can spend his money.

Your son might resent you putting down a man for working. I'm sure hes sweating and smells like shyt. And my hat's off to him.
I still think your a blowhard.
I reckon it's not your fault you think you know more about everything than everyone else. You so stupid you believe yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts