Tractor buying help

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple new holland tractors, TC 55DA (05 model) 2000 hrs with 4wd and a 5030 (98 model) 2400 hrs. I'm only using a tractor for hauling bigger round bales and bush hogging pasture. The hay I buy is heavy and my neighbors Kunitz 5100 struggles with them, it's just flat out not heavy enough. Anyone got anything good or bad to offer on these two tractors?

Not sure on the TC55DA but the 5030 is a good tractor. Very similar to the original Ford 5000, these are strong reliable tractors, that if looked after will do a lot of hard work for a lot of hours. I would say that while it will handle big bales carefully the front end will wear, if using a loader.

Thanks for the reply--I'm leaning towards the 5030 for the extra HP and the additional weight. It weights considerably more than the other tractor and a heck of a lot more than the Kubota I have been using to unload my hay. I feel like it will be plenty of tractor--its a one owner and has been barn kept so we will see when I get to look at it. I'm only feeding 16 head of cattle with it and doing some bush hogging and light chores around my place--nothing major at all.

jallen":hdwgwict said:
Thanks for the reply--I'm leaning towards the 5030 for the extra HP and the additional weight. It weights considerably more than the other tractor and a heck of a lot more than the Kubota I have been using to unload my hay. I feel like it will be plenty of tractor--its a one owner and has been barn kept so we will see when I get to look at it. I'm only feeding 16 head of cattle with it and doing some bush hogging and light chores around my place--nothing major at all.
Until I saw the one owner and barn kept I was going to warn against spray can overhauls and dry zerk fittings.

Curious as to what they are asking for the 5030? Been looking around some myself for a second tractor. If I remember right you are in Allen Co. right?

I'm pretty sure he is being honest with me. The company I work for actually has his equipment insured. I don't have a clue what condition it's truly in but we've had it insured since 98. Hopefully it checks out. I talked about it with the tractor mechanic I've used and he had good things to say about them.
dun":c4m105gy said:
jallen":c4m105gy said:
Until I saw the one owner and barn kept I was going to warn against spray can overhauls and dry zerk fittings.

He is asking 15,500

tom4018":judkrgl4 said:
Curious as to what they are asking for the 5030? Been looking around some myself for a second tractor. If I remember right you are in Allen Co. right?

One thing I would ask about is live PTO. Some years ago I almost bought a 5000, when I checked it over just before I paid the money I realized it didn;t even HAVE a PTO

jallen":45c3n71x said:
http://m.tractorhouse.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=tractor&listingId=9609729&categoryId=1110

Found this one online also. Any opinions on this one? I'm waiting on a call back from the dealer now.

5030 is a solid tractor. We have a 5030 similar to that , but it's 4WD. Use it to mow and bale with. The hydraulics are a little slower than some of the newer tractors, but we use it for loader work too, and it does just fine. That's really low hours compared to most 5030s you'll find around here.

I'm curious as to whether those hours are accurate or not--for all I know that thing might have been stuck the last 10 years.

A.J.":6p1az2xk said:
jallen":6p1az2xk said:
http://m.tractorhouse.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=tractor&listingId=9609729&categoryId=1110

Found this one online also. Any opinions on this one? I'm waiting on a call back from the dealer now.

5030 is a solid tractor. We have a 5030 similar to that , but it's 4WD. Use it to mow and bale with. The hydraulics are a little slower than some of the newer tractors, but we use it for loader work too, and it does just fine. That's really low hours compared to most 5030s you'll find around here.

jallen":2x0ctmlq said:
I'm curious as to whether those hours are accurate or not--for all I know that thing might have been stuck the last 10 years.

A.J.":2x0ctmlq said:
jallen":2x0ctmlq said:

Looking at the pic, not that east to see but it has either been repainted, or has fairly low hours. Certainly does not look to have 1000's of hours on it from this pic.

jallen":3u7omx8k said:

That tractor has a lot more than 700 hours of use. IMO

I looked at the local NH 5030 today. Condition was pretty good. Overall was impressed with it. Only real issue I found was an oil leak but it appears to be s very slow one. Nothing was noticeable under where it was parked. He did tell me the loader had to be welded at the joints on both sides a few years ago because they started to crack. Going to study it another day or two. This one had just under 2100 hours.

i hope you didnt buy that tractor.because a loader thats been welded on i would not trust.most cases that means the loader has been used hard.

bigbull338":1zcw9vto said:
i hope you didnt buy that tractor.because a loader thats been welded on i would not trust.most cases that means the loader has been used hard.
I don;t think "hard used" would sum it up. More like abused beyond belief

dun":h5bqr7l7 said:
bigbull338":h5bqr7l7 said:
I don;t think "hard used" would sum it up. More like abused beyond belief

I respectfully disagee with you guys.

Just about any loader I've ever seen has required some welding here and there over time due to normal wear and tear. The important thing is the workmanship and quality of the repair job. In many cases, if the repair job is done professionally, in many cases the repair can be an improvement over the original design.

If the loader was straight, cracks repaired properly, and pivot points tight, I wouldn't be scared of it.

we have a loader that was worked hard for 32yrs.an it has never been welded on at all.spent its life lifting 5 by 6 bales.the tractor and loader was semi retired in 2010 when we bought a 4wd drive loader tractor.

I disagree about the loader deal as well I have tractor all its ever done was lift mulch and topsoil and got hairline cracks in the loader and it was welded. I never used it for anything else I am guess design flaws. I never had a reason to abuse it as I have heavy equipment for heavy duty. :2cents:

Latest posts